Slicing vs Merchant

Discussion for the suppliers of Starsider
scotty305

Slicing vs Merchant

Post by scotty305 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:01 am

It would be really helpful if weapon & armor slicing could be added to Merchant profession, or if the ability to add a single vendor could be added as part of the master skill box for most crafting professions. It's been bugging me that I need to have the Smuggler profession on one character (to slice crafted weapons), then another character with the Merchant profession in order to sell the weapons that were crafted & sliced by the first character. This might be a weaponsmith-specific problem, I think artisan/architect/DE/tailor work pretty well with Merchant as their profession and get everything else they need via skills. I think Armorsmiths would benefit from this sort of thing also, though I gather they avoid selling pre-sliced armor for other reasons.

Brindan Call

Re: Slicing vs Merchant

Post by Brindan Call » Thu May 17, 2018 9:00 am

Trust me, I feel your pain. Having to have a Ranger to harvest Hides for my Merchant/Archi uses up a Char Slot I'd much rather use for something else, but it's all in the name of Balance and getting people to work together. Some profs rely on others to keep a market open and churning, and while some can do things completely on their own, it often comes at a price.

Taking Slicing from Smugglers isn't the answer though, as more can be sliced than just Weapons and Armor, such as Terminals, both Mission and Base/Starport ones for GCW. Plus, without Spice, Slicing is about all Smugglers have going for them ATM aside from a couple combat shots (none of which are really unique) and 100% Language Comprehension (which can be learned from most players by anyone in about 30 seconds)

You just have to decide if you'd rather find and hire a Smuggler to slice your goods for you and go with a diff Prof in that Char Slot, or use 2 Char Slots for a Merchant and Smuggler to be 100% self-reliable. If you opt for the first choice, drop me a line, I'll Slice for you at a fair price, or possible trade in goods/services.

scotty305

Re: Slicing vs Merchant

Post by scotty305 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:58 pm

I agree about interacting, and I think the 3 character limit has done a great job of preventing people from being too self-reliant here. I suppose chefs, armorsmiths, BEs, (possibly others?) might be faced with a similar choice between Ranger and Merchant. Docs would be in an even worse situation, needing Ranger and Doc and Merchant.

I think I'd rather pay a 3rd party to handle the merchant duties, rather than pay a 3rd party to handle the slicing duties. I realize that could be a bookkeeping nightmare for the merchant, depending how they wanted to handle things.