Merchant can't start

DarkLadyPhoenix1

Merchant can't start

Post by DarkLadyPhoenix1 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:32 pm

So, I know I've pointed this out and I know artisan is being worked on and is missing stuff but there's currently no way to START artisan as a merchant.

You NEED a mineral and a chemical survey device to craft any of the things with your provided general crafting tool because everything in that list needs mineral and metal. This means one needs to roll a ranger to get the tool or buy it from someone. I realize that crafting tools are really cheap and plentiful but this seems really wrong that you can't start your chosen profession right out of the gate when literally every other profession can.

This is also ignoring the fact that as a merchant, you get zero xp for bazaar sales. This means you need a house. But wait, you can't get a house because houses are only available in cities. There's maybe one person on the server right now that can found a city... This is a very, very strong uphill battle when every other starter profession can just start right out of the gate. This is going to be a big issue for those maybe not familiar with SWG and can't figure out how to start the game. (Yes, we are getting brand new players or those only familiar with NGE)

I knew players on my old server that spent all their characters as artisans so a little help here?

TLDR:
-Merchants need to start with a chemical survey device to get going.
-Add merchant xp to bazaar sales? I don't even know how to fix this...
Last edited by DarkLadyPhoenix1 on Mon May 08, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DarkLadyPhoenix1

Musician also can't start

Post by DarkLadyPhoenix1 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:07 pm

A friend posted that when joining musician, she gets schematics for fanfar and kloo horn. Which she can't play until she gets musician xp. Which she can't do until she gets a slitherhorn. Maybe have musician start with a slitherhorn so they can get xp?

dalolorn

Re: Merchant can't start

Post by dalolorn » Mon May 08, 2017 1:41 pm

I know for a fact that mineral survey devices don't come with Ranger - either they come with Merchant or they don't come at all. (Might be a bug with the species you're using?)

As for houses, houses are available in Broken Bridge, so...
European RPer, occasionally dabbling in crafting and stuff.

Currently active characters:
  • Dal Adarom - Sarcos Group Agent
  • Fennla Lan - Tinkerer and Adventurer
  • Nalth Kaaru - Bounty Hunter

DarkLadyPhoenix1

Post by DarkLadyPhoenix1 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:03 pm

dalolorn wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 1:41 pm
I know for a fact that mineral survey devices don't come with Ranger - either they come with Merchant or they don't come at all. (Might be a bug with the species you're using?)
Derp. Not mineral, chemical. Chemical survey devices is something that ranger starts with. Or Singing Mtn Clan, one of the two. Artisan does get a mineral survey, but again, you need both mineral and chemical to craft anything from that first box.
Yeah, go roll a merchant, pretend you're a first time player with no other toons and see how far you get without any help. How do you get a house that you need to sell your stuff in that you need to get xp for that you can't do without buying a house or making things for sale?

It's a circle of can't do this without this but can't do that without having the first thing. As I said in the first post, I KNOW there are things for sale at BB but these are professions that can't start at all without hunting something down and relying on another player for. Do other professions do that?

Actually that would be interesting. Let's have ALL combat characters start with no gun and no armor. You have to find or make one yourself. Maybe then people will finally get what the hell I'm talking about.

dalolorn

Post by dalolorn » Tue May 09, 2017 1:36 am

DarkLadyPhoenix1 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 4:03 pm
dalolorn wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 1:41 pm
Derp. Not mineral, chemical. Chemical survey devices is something that ranger starts with. Or Singing Mtn Clan, one of the two. Artisan does get a mineral survey, but again, you need both mineral and chemical to craft anything from that first box.
Chemical survey comes with Doctors... don't remember any Artisan schematics, but you could try a different crafting class if this one doesn't work with the equipment you have.
Yeah, go roll a merchant, pretend you're a first time player with no other toons and see how far you get without any help. How do you get a house that you need to sell your stuff in that you need to get xp for that you can't do without buying a house or making things for sale?

It's a circle of can't do this without this but can't do that without having the first thing. As I said in the first post, I KNOW there are things for sale at BB but these are professions that can't start at all without hunting something down and relying on another player for. Do other professions do that?

Actually that would be interesting. Let's have ALL combat characters start with no gun and no armor. You have to find or make one yourself. Maybe then people will finally get what the hell I'm talking about.
Every class me and my younger brother (for reference, I'm Smuggler/Ranger, and I've observed him use Smuggler, BH and... Entertainer, though I wasn't paying attention to gear on that character) have started with has had a set of starter weapons. If all else fails (and it shouldn't), it takes only 100 credits (out of 1100) to start making money. (Also, even without starter weapons, you can become a novice TKA and beat stuff to death.)

Now, aside from the city hall and cantina (and the shuttleport, and the garage, and the admins' houses), Broken Bridge - and more importantly, the server economy - have managed to start up without admin intervention. This tells me that someone out there managed to get all the tools needed to make tools, and it tells me that it can be done again. (Besides, most of the current traders only started worrying about Merchant XP by the time they were becoming high-grade Artisans and whatever other crafting classes they had. Commerce came before the first Merchant box and all that. :P)
European RPer, occasionally dabbling in crafting and stuff.

Currently active characters:
  • Dal Adarom - Sarcos Group Agent
  • Fennla Lan - Tinkerer and Adventurer
  • Nalth Kaaru - Bounty Hunter

DarkLadyPhoenix1

Post by DarkLadyPhoenix1 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:24 am

Yes, I know it's possible that someone out there had to start and roll a doctor or some convoluted method to get the first tool, but note that I have had encounters with FIRST TIME PLAYERS who declared the fact that they can't start playing the game until they go hunt down a tool while combat players can just start playing "the stupidest thing they've ever heard" and logged off. I don't know how many different ways I can say this other than this is not friendly to new players who may not know how to get that first tool or instrument and are confused that they can't just start playing out of the gate like every other profession can and have to go buy tools to do so.

But I guess losing new players isn't an issue to anyone else. Let's just keep the game exclusive to vets only.

BluePyros

Post by BluePyros » Tue May 09, 2017 11:34 am

Merchant should get a generic crafting tool, mineral scanner, and chem scanner (atleast mine did). What species are you? There was a bug with hutts getting things for example earlier.
Andarta / Nantosueleta

Genie

Post by Genie » Wed May 10, 2017 6:53 am

the resource survey tools are on the artisan line tools, box 2

DarkLadyPhoenix1

Post by DarkLadyPhoenix1 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:24 pm

BluePyros wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 11:34 am
Merchant should get a generic crafting tool, mineral scanner, and chem scanner (atleast mine did). What species are you? There was a bug with hutts getting things for example earlier.
Ishkabible.... Ishi something.

BluePyros

Post by BluePyros » Wed May 10, 2017 2:18 pm

tried and I got all the tools. Strange

do you have the requisite tools now? If not I can certainly give you some.
Andarta / Nantosueleta