Friday Feature 7/21/2017 – Creature Resources

In the Empire in Flames galaxy, crafters are the ones who enable players  to handle more and more difficult content. They enable roleplayers to dress their characters appropriately for their given roles. Crafters create the buildings, the droids, the weapons, the armor, the furniture, the food, and so much more!

However, none of those items can be crafted without resources. When I first began playing SWG, I was an NGE girl. I didn’t really comprehend how in depth the crafting sandbox of pre-CU was until they brought in the Beastmasters. This time around, I’m testing the waters of the chef. I’ve learned that unlike crafting in other MMO’s, the quality of the resource matters. That high quality resources only exist for a short window of time. Some resources still haven’t spawned in the game for some of the crafters. *Thinks about lidium for the Droid Engineers*

Resources can be mined from the ground, water vapor pulled from the air, creatures killed and harvested for hide, meat, and bones. Testing each of the resources, to see what is currently available in EiF is time consuming. If the information isn’t shared, then everyone has to check on the resources they care about themselves. Galaxy Harvester is a website, designed to track current and past resources. Up until a few weeks ago, players who checked resources could manually update the site. Other players would come along behind them and verify the resource.

In EiF, we rarely had GH updated with everything at the same time. Halyn was able to use code another SWG developer shared with him to pull the resource information from EiF and automatically import it into GH. The import didn’t however clear up the resources no longer in spawn, if they appeared on multiple planets. Ditchbuster, a prominent member of the EiF community, refined the script to clean up expired entries.

Now every two days the script runs and GH is fully up-to-date. It’s run at that interval, so players still have a reason to check for specific needed resources to give themselves an edge and to use the DE made Interplanetary Survey Devices and survey tools to run those checks. One of the updates to  ISDs is they give not just a list of what is in spawn, but also the stats. These upgrades to EiF’s resource management has changed the lives of crafters in our community.

It also created some confusion and consternation. We discovered there were shellfish to be harvested, some animals had horns… Wait what! There were a numbers of resources we didn’t know existed before! Then learned not all did exist, but *could* exist if they were created. Ugh, things were getting complicated again. And just what creature did you hunt down to get that scaley hide from anyway?

Earlier this week, two of our staff, Gail and Kelta took it upon themselves to identify which creature resources were actually available in EiF, as well as which creatures could be harvested to obtain the type of resource needed. Below is the spreadsheet they created! I hope this is as useful to you, as it is for me!

Creature Resources

Sandarie
Community Manager

Leave a Reply