The Mortis Chronicles

Write stories with friends. Open them up for anyone to participate, or for a set group of people. Either way everyone can enjoy the journey.

NOTE: All entries and replies are to be In Character. There is usually a comment thread in the Stories/Journal Comments forum for OOC comments and questions.
Temperius

The Mortis Chronicles

Post by Temperius »

Now
I am Adversarius Mortis. Getting started with this writing project was not easy for me. I think I must have walked around with these thoughts and memories in my head for several years. It is important to me to hand this down to my son, Venatus and the family he may have years from now. My given name was Mychael Y. Sloane as was my father’s name before me. I grew up in the lap of luxury, the son of the wealthy owner of Sloane Intra-Galactic Shipping, also known as M.Y.S. Shipping. I wanted for nothing and perhaps even lived excessively, taking for granted the lifestyle unto which I was born.

That was my start, however, it was not the start of the man, who in my opinion, was the father of us all. To fully understand my beginnings, I must first tell you his tale.

Then…
Salvadore Sloan, was the oldest son of the man who owned the Sloane Intra-Galactic Shipping company. Sal, as he was known, worked hard and studied hard and was learning the ropes of the family business. He traveled throughout the galaxy, making certain the family business thrived. As business was going, he stood to inherit the company. But things don’t work out as planned sometimes…
The young man exited the turbo lift at his hotel, walking out into the main lobby, looking for a sign that might lead him to the place he sought: The Lounge. Salvadore Sloan was relaxing after a successful business meeting with beings who would help expand the network of MYS to the outer rim. He was happy, and tired, and the load of the business trip needed to be set down for a while. A few drinks in the lounge, while watching entertainment would help make that happen.

“Bartender,” he asked. “Can I get a Corellian Ale?”
“Certainly sir, coming right up!” announced the bartender, who immediately took down a glass and began to pour it in the proper manner, that left a slight head of foam on top. He handed the young man his drink and quickly took the credits that were left on the bar for him.
Sal drank his ale and stared off into space, fatigue setting in as he worked on his glass. He was excited to talk to his father about his experience when, out of the corner of his eye, he saw a man getting a drink down the bar a bit that was on fire. The fire seemed a beautiful and mesmerizing thing. As the flames danced, they seemed to swirl and change color, and it looked as the though the man who ordered the drink caught his eye and moved toward him.

“You noticed my drink, I see,” said the gentleman, holding the flaming beverage. “Why don’t you try it out for me?” he suggested.
“Gee,” said Sal. “Ya sure? I mean this is more like a work of art than a drink, and I guess if I wanted one I could order it later.”
“I insist,” asserted the man, who was dressed in a black suit and tie.
“Uh ok, sure,” responded Sal, blowing out the flames and taking a drink. He smiled as it seemed to taste good, like a sweet syrup, coating his throat then warming his belly.
“What do you think?” queried the man in the black suit and tie. “Did you like it?”
“MMM,” said Sal, as he took a small sip from the glass. “It has an interesting flavor to it, that’s for sure.”
“Glad you liked it,” said the man in the black suit.
“Not sure why you wanted to buy me a drink,” stated Sal. “I mean I don’t know you and, well, I am no one special.’
“Ah but you are, all my customers are special. I picked you because you were the only one sitting at the bar,” explained the man. “I am trying to sell my product to various establishments like this one, so I pick random people and ask them to try it, get their feedback and use that information for sales opportunities.”

“Ahh,” said Sal. “Glad I could help then,” he finished. Sal took another sip to confirm in his own mind that the drink did taste good, then nodded to the man in the black suit, showing his approval.
Sal’s world immediately began to swim around him as he tried to answer the man in the suit. The man seemed really happy and kept smiling back at him. Then he was falling, but it was fun to fall, and fall and fall, until the darkness took him.

Sal’s senses remained dull, yet it seemed to him as though voices would occasionally cut the silence.
“That was easy,” announced one of the voices. “I feel kinda guilty getting paid for that.”
“This guy is big credits,” said another voice. “Be careful, don’t drop him.”
Long periods of silence and swirling light and darkness came and went in what seemed like an endless pattern that Sal seemed to lose track.
“Young man,” came another voice from the haze, unaccompanied by features. “I know you can here me talk,” he continued. “You will be our guest for quite some time. Your senses will return as well, in time. Relax…”
Sal screamed as his eyes were finally able to focus on the body that was on the table in front of him. It was his.