A Brief Recording

Write stories with friends. Open them up for anyone to participate, or for a set group of people. Either way everyone can enjoy the journey.

NOTE: All entries and replies are to be In Character. There is usually a comment thread in the Stories/Journal Comments forum for OOC comments and questions.
Bean

A Brief Recording

Post by Bean »

((The following recording would be received by most sitting New Republic Senators, members of the Military High Command, and several prominent New Republic Citizens, at publically available points of contact including physical delivery to their offices.))

A man appears in a small, pre-fab building. Those who know him would recognize Darrando Rivet, although heavily fatigued.

“Good evening, ladies, gentlemen, and all others. Those of you who know me, know me as Darrando Rivet. Until this morning, I served as Commissioner for Public safety on Dantooine, and prior to that, I did extensive work with the Alderaan Expatriate Network. Additionally, I have served in an unofficial capacity alongside New Republic and Alliance Special Operations, and my associations with the rebellion predate either organization by some years.

“This morning, I resigned my position, and renounced my citizenship with the New Republic. If you are seeing this, it means I am in New Republic custody. By the time this recording is made public, an initial news article will have run giving the basics of why. This recording serves as an expansion on that, as well as a public accusation.

“For about eight months, myself and a unit of New Republic Special Operations have been in personal conflict over a series of incidents that started on Dantooine. General Anishor’s command has, in that time, demonstrated a pattern of obstruction and negligence that I find unconscionable. Further, this obstruction has grown to include at least two Senators.

“Ghaal Mooal is an Ithorian mercenary, and among other things, a sociopath. He came to Dantooine looking for me, regarding an Imperial bounty. He did not find me. He found friends of mine. At-Lor, At-Fey, and Kassig Nast, former Hutt cartel slaves and men I trusted with my life. I do not know the exact circumstances of their conversation, but I know Kassig Nast died with his blaster holstered. At-Fey died wrapping himself around a grenade. At-Lor was shot in the face at close range. An additional eight people, including four New Republic Soldiers, died that day. Two more remain in a comatose state. Another is paralyzed permanently.

“But this was not the end of things. I arrested Ghaal, relatively unharmed given the wake he left. Almost immediately, a New Republic intelligence officer by the name of Or’Dino Dissimulo began contacting me, demanding Ghaal’s release. This included him delivering an order, signed by General Anishor, directing me to release Ghaal immediately. The second greatest regret of my life is that I did not immediately tell him where he could deliver that order.

Shortly after, I contacted several Senators. Not a single one of them supported us putting Ghaal on trial. Some chose to feign ignorance and continue to do so. Four Senators decided Ghaal should be released. I hope they remember that for the rest of their lives. I will remember it for mine.

“Shortly after that, an agreement was made with another intelligence officer in Anishor’s command. Of the officers in his command, I will chose to leave them un-named in this document out of personal respect. My understanding of the agreement was that this officer would take more authority over Ghaal’s dealings with the Republic, and he would not be a problem for Republic citizens who had run afoul of the Empire. The greatest regret of my life is that I did not make the Republic kill me to remove Ghaal from my custody.

“This agreement was made after Or’Dino Dissimulo, in his capacity as an intelligence officer, threatened the safety and careers of my family and associates, some of whom are respected members of the New Republic armed forces. He has actively endangered my friends more than once, and I am regarded as a problem for not accepting that quietly.

“A few months later, myself and my fiance ran into Ghaal in a bar a few blocks from the Senate building. Posturing and threats ensued. By the next day, Ghaal had attempted to use the New Republic’s authority to intimidate the Hanna City portmaster, and the Imperial bounty on me had more than doubled.

“I attempted to communicate my issues with the situation to more than one member of Anishor’s command, including mister Dissimulo. They chose inaction, which would become a pattern. This is around the time that Anishor’s command chose to start ignoring me.

“Several months later, Ghaal Mooal shot my fiance near our home. He also left a bomb on her, but do to the skill of members of our family, she is fine and healthy. A bit stressed, but fine. This is the first and only time the Republic has done something close to reasonable in this situation. After communication with another officer, Ghaal’s New Republic protection was voided, and members of the SOC were dispatched with the mission to retrieve him for trial.

“Unfortunately, Ghaal ran into Or’Dino first. Senators Risian and Mortis will tell you that Ghaal was captured by a Republic citizen and turned over. What they won’t tell you is that Or’Dino shot Ghaal in the head, and was attempting to sell him to Terrunda the Hutt. I only know of one organization where a headshot is considered an arrest, and that’s the Imperial Security Bureau. As for the bounty, Mister Dissimulo has implied he was paid by someone for Ghaal.

“It is at this point that the corruption and malice truly become obvious. General Anishor, in an attempt to cover his own ass and simultaneously pass the bad credit, handed off the situation to a Senate Committee, whose members include Senators TeHe Iko of Tatooine, Adversarius Mortis of Corellia, Aimantia Risian of Naboo, and Ivunuvi Naokea of Dantooine. Senator Naokea quickly recused herself, being a witness and my personal friend.

“Senator Mortis is a known friend of Mister Dissimulo. In addition, since leaving the New Republic intelligence community, Mister Dissimulo has set up a criminal enterprise in Crescent Bay, Corellia. It isn’t a great secret that Senator Mortis is aware of his activities.

“Senator Risian, if she had any respect for democracy, would have disclosed that she and mister Dissimulo are close friends, and thus privy to more information than she would like you to believe. She might also reveal that she and mister Mooal have a prior relationship, the ithorian being responsible for the capture of her friend and her stay in Imperial custody. And if she had any dignity, she would resign. I expect she’ll do neither.

“There has been some discussion in the committee about my potential bias. Apparently, one junior Senator’s word, that Dantooine is not capable of providing a fair trial for Ghaal due to what they believe about me, is indisputable fact. They have presented no supporting evidence for this fact, and debate on the matter is quickly stamped out by Senator Risian and her lackey, Senator Mortis, while they crow about transparency and justice.

“Several times during this ordeal I have attempted to communicate my concerns outside of Anishor’s command, it being apparent to me that he is unsuited for his position by virtue of his negligence. Every time, I am redirected to him. So I have chosen another path. In approximately 48 hours, this message will be publically available on the holonet. The people of the Republic can decide for themselves if this is the way they want their government to function.

“By that time, I expect it will not much matter to me. Within the week after my arrest, I will stop eating. The New Republic has the opportunity to be rid of me by my own hand, if they can stomach watching it happen. All of my evidence in this case has been left in the hands of two trusted associates, and will be available should the New Republic choose to do what I have asked for since the beginning, and become involved and learn the facts for themselves. I am not holding my breath.

“It is not enough to pursue justice. We must also be willing to obstruct injustice. I would rather starve to death in a cell than allow these events to include me as a willing participant.”
Kanten Kania (Wiley Old Man)
Darrando Rivet (Has Rancor, Will Travel)
Koga Veki (Showtime)