Star Wars: Unbound Fate

Write stories with friends. Open them up for anyone to participate, or for a set group of people. Either way everyone can enjoy the journey.

NOTE: All entries and replies are to be In Character. There is usually a comment thread in the Stories/Journal Comments forum for OOC comments and questions.
kevmascolcha

Star Wars: Unbound Fate

Post by kevmascolcha »

Chapter 1 - Severed Connections
Colcha Landing, 500 Republica, Imperial Center
39:3:5 (4 ABY)
2322 hours

A long wailing scream on a familiar face, attached to a body that was seen falling to it’s doom into a deep chasm as a maelstrom of force energy surrounded him. Kev-Mas Colcha, Emperor’s Hand was bound to protect this individual, the Emperor and the most powerful man in the known galaxy. Bound against his will, by mind control. He truly was the Emperor’s Hand, as his will was not his own and the Emperor’s instead. So while these visions did cause Kev-Mas to stir from his sleep, curiously he was not compelled to act.

He was not because the man whose will he was bound by to serve the Emperor WAS the Emperor, who had just died hours before he received this vision in the Force. A vision that was delayed for reasons unbeknownst to the loyal servant, cause after all the Force works in mysterious ways.

The sounds of several explosions echoing across the city awoke Kev-Mas. News of what happened in the Battle of Endor had reached the Empire’s Capitol and countless citizens became dissidents, wreaking havoc in the city center. The only news Kev-Mas had to go off of was the vision he had just received and he was clueless as to what it meant.

Kev-Mas was used to a crimson tint in his vision, a residual effect of the kyber crystals powering his cybernetic eyes that had been bled by his Sith Lord master. That tint was now silver, which puzzled Kev-Mas.

No time to think about it for more than a brief moment however. Kev-Mas heard another explosion at his door, as a small group of stormtroopers broke into his apartment. “Stang! Why couldn’t they just knock?!” mumbled Colcha under his breath as his cybernetic eyes scanned the apartment in search of the intruders, switching between infrared and normal vision modes.

It was times like this that Kev-Mas was thankful that he slept with his clothes on in case of emergency, complete with armor and everything. Locating the intruders, Kev-Mas grabbed his lightsaber and went to confront them. His lightsaber was simplistic in appearance, looking to be a simple black shaft with no grip or visible activator switch of any kind, with one end flat and the other featuring vicious looking talons indicating the end the blade came out of. The lightsaber was, however very large. In fact, comically large compared to Kev-Mas’ stature. The man wasn’t small by any means, as he was nearly 2 meters tall with a muscular build. However, his lightsaber looked as if it would be more comfortable in the hands of a Wookiee, not him.

“You know, you could’ve just knocked…” he said to the troopers as he ignited his lightsaber, the large meter and a half long silver blade coming to life with a menacing glow. He still wasn’t aware of the fact that they were here to kill him or why they were, but they broke into his home and he wasn’t going to take any chances.

"Well that's odd, not only is my vision tinted silver now instead of red, but my lightsaber is too," he thought as his blade came to life.

“It’s him! Blast him!” yelled one of the stormtroopers as he fired his E-11 at Kev-Mas, a bolt that was reflected back into his helmet, snapping his neck with the force of the blow. As the Stormtroopers began to take formation surrounding the Dark Jedi, Kev-Mas moved quickly to defend himself. He threw his lightsaber with an immense amount of force in a circle around him, cleaving the remaining 5 stormtroopers in two with incredible ease.

Kev-Mas’ weapon landed back in his hands and he deactivated the blade, who then attempted to open a channel to any nearby Forces. He got no response. “That’s weird…” he thought, looking at the window seeing a sea of fire in the streets below, “but I guess given the situation at hand it’s not too weird. They’re probably just… busy.”

Kev-Mas then felt a presence in the Force, and a very antagonizing one at that. It felt cold, bitter and harsh. Like a light winter breeze on Hoth, which relative to the rest of the galaxy wasn’t very light. Whoever it was they were not friendly, and they were approaching quickly.

“Hm…” Kev-Mas mused, turning on the holonet transceiver built into his cybernetic implants, “Seems like the Empire isn’t as united as I thought it was.”

“Rebel uprisings have erupted across the Galaxy. They are believed to have been linked to unconfirmed news of the Death of the Emperor and Lord Vader at the Battle of Endor reach the masses. The Empire denies any such claims, and urges all civilians to remain calm and return to their homes or face arrest…”

“Or not,” he continued as he shut off the transceiver. Kev-Mas knew how Imperial Intelligence worked, having worked FOR them on several occasions. This news was true, quite obviously such news would cause several systems to fall out of line and Imperial Intelligence was trying to silence them in reaction to it. However, that still didn’t explain why a squad of Stormtroopers came after him, which was most likely linked to the Dark Side presence he felt getting very close. The presence which he was quite certain responsible for the approaching footsteps he was hearing.

“I take it you’re responsible for this mess?” Kev-Mas called out to the presence as he approached.

“Oh yes, I do apologize about that Mister Colcha, and I will send a team to clean it up as soon as possible. It’s just a pity you won’t live to see it to completion…” was the reply from the approaching figure, adorned in the ornate robes of the Imperial Inquisition.

“Are you threatening me, Inquisitor?” replied Kev-Mas, igniting his lightsaber once more and falling into his unique lightsaber stance, based off of both Juyo and Djem So forms.

Now Kev-Mas knew one thing for sure: the Inquisition wanted Kev-Mas dead, either because they saw him as a risk to inherit the newly vacated throne, or because they knew something he didn’t…

“By the name of the Imperial High Council, you are under arrest for crimes against the Empire,” recited the Inquisitor, in a judicious and pompous tone. As he ignited his lightsaber, you could almost smell the bureaucracy reeking from his mouth. “Stand down and your death will be humane,” he continued, slipping into a classical Makashi salute.

“There are no crimes and you know it,” replied Kev-Mas with a determined look on his face, lunging forwards towards the Inquisitor, “You only fear my chances of claiming the throne.”

“I never took you for the talkative type…” replied the Inquisitor as he parried Kev-Mas’ blow and sent him flying with a burst of telekinetic energy, sending Kev-Mas flying into a structural column, cracking it on impact, “I see the talisman the Emperor planted in you has indeed failed after death.”

“I guess you’ve got something in common with it then,” retorted Kev-Mas, uprooting the column and hurling it at the Inquisitor with the Force, “It’s a shame that the Emperor is dead. I would have been rewarded a commission for killing you, for attacking the Hand of the Emperor is grounds for treason, and killing treacherous Inquisitors is my specialty.”

Indeed, killing treacherous Inquisitors was Kev-Mas’ specialty. While Inquisitors normally ranked higher than an Emperor’s Hand in the Imperial chain of command, Kev-Mas, though unbeknownst to him as he was not made aware of the fact he was not the only hand he was granted secret additional clearance to better equip him for a higher purpose than his peers. He was tasked with the honor of assassinating members of the Empire who were deemed treasonous by the Emperor himself. This included Moffs, Generals and even Inquisitors.

“Your loyalty to the Empire is as fragile as your chances of victory,” replied the Inquisitor, catching the column with his own telekinetic powers, “surrender now and your death will be quick and painless.”

Kev-Mas let out an ear piercing roar, shattering the fragile column to pieces and sending shrapnel flying at the Inquisitor. The Inquisitor leaped out of the way, but only to be met mid-air by Kev-Mas with a falling leaf technique, slashing from the air above him, in an attempt to crush him under his own weight. Makashi wasn’t known for its strength, rather focusing on finesse and agility, and the sheer force under Kev-Mas’ attack was unavoidable.

The Inquisitor used a Force Push to distance himself from the attack and fall into a blade lock. “I thought the Inquisitors were known for their combat prowess,” chuckled Kev-Mas jeeringly, “Apparently I was either wrong, or you’re one pathetic excuse for an Inquisitor.”

The inquisitor snarled as he aimed a kick at Kev-Mas, which he deflected with his own, sending him flying towards a nearby window. “I’m quite insulted, really. I would’ve expected the Empire to send a more capable opponent to dispatch me.”

Speechless and quivering in fear, the Inquisitor dropped his weapon then fell back scuttling towards the window. “On your feet, you miserable whelp,” commanded Kev-Mas, approaching quickly, “there is no honor in a mercy killing.”

“I bet you’re not even here on official business, are you?” continued Kev-Mas, swinging his lightsaber at the window, shattering it.

“That’s none of your concern,” mumbled the Inquisitor, rising to his feet.

“Speak up,” shouted Kev-Mas in order to be heard over the rushing Coruscanti winds coming through the high rise window, “I can’t hear you over the sound of your impending doom.”

“RAAAAAGH!” yelled the Inquisitor, belting out a torrent of electrical Force Energy at Kev-Mas, which he then blocked and absorbed with his lightsaber, absorbing the Force Energy for himself.

“Like I said, impending doom,” Kev-Mas added, sending an even stronger burst of electrical Force Energy back at the Inquisitor, sending him flying out the open window to his death.

“I don’t even want the throne…” muttered Kev-Mas, reaching over to grab the lightsaber that was left behind, “politics irritate me.”

Dusting himself off, Kev-Mas then made his way to his private hangar where his ship awaited him. Knowing full well that the Empire would likely send more men after him, he needed to get away immediately. His ship had a cloaking device, and it would most definitely come in handy.

After exiting the turbolift into his private hangar bay he sensed another presence aboard his ship. This one seemed smaller, but it was very likely they were attempting to mask their presence. Either way, Kev-Mas had to move quickly. Dashing up towards the boarding ramp, he was confronted by a tall, white haired man departing from it, gripping what appeared to be a walking stave.

“Going somewhere, Mister Colcha?” the man threatened with a smirk, walking out as Kev-Mas backed up.

“Who are you and how did you get on my ship?” deflected Kev-Mas.

The man ignited a crimson lightsaber blade from the stave, and slipped into a combat stance Kev-Mas hadn’t seen anyone else use in over 5 years… not since his days as a Shadow Guard.

“The name’s Victus. How I got on your ship doesn’t matter, just know that I’m going to take it.”

Kev-Mas ignited his own lightsaber and slipped into a Juyo salute.

“Shadow Guard eh? Takes me back to the old days. Back when I was still a tool of the Emperor.” said Kev-Mas, lunging at Victus.

Something seemed off though. Kev-Mas always made attempts to reach out telepathically to his opponents in battle as a means of gaining a tactical upper hand, but when he reached out to Victus he seemed to be shrouded with an aura of uncertainty. Almost as if he was second guessing himself every step of the way.

“You too eh? It’s a shame I’m gonna have to kill a former comrade then,” retorted Victus with a jeer, parrying the blow.

Thinking quickly, Kev-Mas realized that while he could use this to his advantage to defeat him in battle, he realized that there was an alternate option that would serve him far better in the long run. What if this former comrade of his could help him?

“It doesn’t have to be that way, you know,” replied Kev-Mas, stepping to the side and twirling his blade, “I could use some help escaping the Empire, and I don’t think you’ve got it in you to keep on fighting for it.”

“Why would that be?” questioned Victus patiently, holding his pike at the ready.

“I’m pretty sure that after the Emperor killed off most of our brothers in the Shadow Guards that the last thing you want to do is keep on serving in his legacy when you have a way out of it.” reasoned Kev-Mas, standing his ground.

“What if I just want to go at it alone?” replied Victus, pointing his pike closer.

“Because I know for a fact you’re not stupid,” Kev-Mas countered, sending a burst of force energy at Victus, causing him to stumble a little bit but not lose balance, “You got into my ship. That’s not something any idiot could do.”

“And I could really use someone with your particular skills and abilities,” he continued, disengaging his lightsaber and extending a hand as a friendly gesture.

“Ehhh if you put it that way, I guess…” shrugged Victus, disengaging his lightsaber and grabbing Kev-Mas’ hand, who then helped him to his feet, “but if you try anything you’re dead.”

Wraith,cloaked in high atmosphere
Imperial Center
39:3:6 (4 ABY)
0116 hours

Kev-Mas and Victus stood over the conference room briefing table, flanked by several officers adorned in standard issue Imperial uniform.

“Alright men, here’s the situation” said Kev-Mas as he addressed them, “In case you haven’t been paying attention to the holonet—which by the way, I don’t suggest you try until we figure out a way to access it discretely, the Empire wants me dead. Consequently, I’m going to offer you a choice as well. Either you stay here aboard the Wraith and help me escape… or you die.”

Fortunately for Kev-Mas, not only did he still have the perfect ship to escape a planet swarming with former allies who wanted him dead, the crew was still very much on his side. They knew the situation but they had been through so much together that his fine crew had sworn their allegiance to their Commander first, and the Empire second. So when that Empire had turned against Kev-Mas, where their allegiances had stood was without question.

“Sir, we have indeed seen the news, but we’re not blind pawns of the Empire,” replied one of the officers in the room. He was a muscular, gruff looking man with gaunt features. He had a scar across his left eye and was showing clear signs of age, with his graying salt and pepper colored hair and wrinkled brow; it was obvious that this man had quite the extensive service record. “We know you better than anyone else in the Empire and we trust your judgment. If the Empire wants you dead, we want no part of that Empire. Our allegiance first and foremost, is to you.”

As he declared his allegiance, the rest nodded affirmatively.

“Thank you Captain Tersil. I didn’t have a doubt in my mind that you would all make the right choice,” replied Kev-Mas, “I’m glad to still have you all with me. I couldn’t do this without your continued service.”

“Sorry to break up the party going on here,” interjected Victus, “but we should probably come up with a plan of action.”

“Apologies, you’re right.” Kev-Mas nodded in reply. He waved his hand in front of his right temple and a holographic display popped up on the table in front of them. “So here’s the situation. Comscan has given us a rough indication as to the fleet makeup in orbit above us. As to be expected for Imperial Center, it’s big. However, due to recent events it is bigger than it normally is, and I’m pretty sure the planet is under a lockdown because of it.”

“We are cloaked,” replied Victus, “However, once I and the other inquisitor don't report back, the empire will immediately suspect something is amiss.”

“And they’ll send bounty hunters on our trail,” answered another crew member. This crew member was dressed in a black officer uniform, indicating that he was a member of the Stormtrooper corps. He had sun scorched skin and black hair trimmed to Imperial standards with neatly trimmed mutton chop sideburns.

“Exactly, Captain Vosk, Victus,” affirmed Kev-Mas, “But it doesn’t have to be that way. We’re going to feign death, and I know exactly how. They won’t bother chasing after an enemy they believe to have already killed.”

“Consider me intrigued,” replied a female figure. This figure was tall and slender with shoulder length platinum blonde hair dressed in a red Imperial Intelligence officer’s uniform. “But is it tactically sound?”

“As far as my experience and knowledge of Imperial tactics, it most definitely is,” answered Kev-Mas, who again waved his hand in front of his right temple, replacing the existing image with a larger image of the Wraith. Kev-Mas pointed to the image, and began to elaborate.

“The first step of the plan, is obviously to decloak and engage the enemy for a short time,” he began as the image changed to another one, “after that, we will need to end up in a missile targeting lock. I will attempt to slow the missile with the Force as we re cloak, then use the Force to cause it to explode and increase the size and intensity of said explosion. This will create an illusion that the missile had hit the ship and caused it to explode.”

“You’re out of your kriffing mind,” replied Victus calmly, “There would be no debris, we'd need something further.”

“What would you suggest, Victus” inquired Kev-Mas.

“Isn’t there a corvette of the same class as yours in the fleet?” began Victus, “If so, we could do a mind meld to combine our powers, and use it to convince it to disembark towards the planet and convince the Imperial Battlegroup that it is us. Then most likely the ship will be destroyed above the planet and all debris will burn up upon reentry into the atmosphere.”

“Clever… and we’ll escape without a fight.” mused Kev-Mas, “But first we need to see if such a ship is present. Lieutenant Gossen, do you detect one on your scanners?”

“Let’s see…” replied the female intelligence officer dressed in red, “Yes we do sir, the Crimson Lance at vector 259-1716.”

“Excellent,” smiled Kev-Mas, “Let’s do this…”

Moments later, Kev-Mas and Victus sat aboard the bridge of the cloaked ship. The bridge was reminiscent of that of a Star Destroyer, only much smaller. The crew stood inside a trench area below Kev-Mas and Victus who were deep in meditation atop a small observation platform in front of the viewport. They concentrated deeply and reached out to both the captain of the Crimson Lance and the commander of the battlegroup with the Force, weaving their deception in an attempt to make their escape, and then slowly slipped out of the trance.

As they did, they were interrupted by Lieutenant Gossen.

“Sirs, everything appears to be going according to plan. The Crimson Lance is moving towards high atmosphere and the fleet is moving to engage it.”

“Good. Break through into high orbit and prepare a jump to the Utapau system, but do not jump until scanners have detected the destruction of the Lance,” ordered Kev-Mas, as both he and Victus rose to their feet.

“Aye sir,” replied Gossen.

“Hyperspace coordinates locked in and ready,” were the words that chimed in from Captain Tersil, the ship’s chief navigation officer.

“Uhh... why Utapau?” asked Victus.

“I’m getting reports that the Empire has lost control of the planet. We’ll seek asylum there in exchange for valuable intelligence data from the Empire.”

With that, they got their signal to make the jump to hyperspace. “Sir, the Crimson Lance has been destroyed in high atmosphere. It worked.” informed Lieutenant Gossen.
“Captain Tersil, punch it.” Kev-Mas ordered.

“Affirmative, Commander,” nodded Tersil as the ship lurched forward into the blue sea of hyperspace.
Last edited by kevmascolcha on Tue May 07, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kev-Mas Colcha - Echani/Thyrsian Sun Guard
Norin Durame - Human New Republic Intelligence Operative
kevmascolcha

Re: Star Wars: Unbound Fate

Post by kevmascolcha »

Chapter 2 - Holed Up
Wraith, cloaked
Utapau system
0900 hours

Utapau: sinkhole planet, site of one of the final battles of the Clone Wars, and the most recent planets to free itself from the grip of the Empire. It would be understandable that entering this system in a former Imperial starship still possessing Imperial transponder codes would be suicide. That is, unless said ship could not be seen. Needless to say, the Wraith remained cloaked, and would remain that way until the technicians sliced the ship a new transponder code with no affiliations or ties to any governing body.

Garivald Tersil stood on the bridge overlooking the crewmen who were working diligently. Kev-Mas was in his quarters resting from the mind meld and command fell upon the shoulders of his first officer – that being Captain Tersil.

“What's the status on that transponder code, Lieutenant Gossen?”

Chanda Gossen was the chief intelligence officer onboard the ship and as such all tasks relating to any sort of covert operations, be it infiltration, reconnaissance or in this case slicing, she was in charge of overseeing them.

“They are underway sir, but the computations will take time to complete.”

“That's time we don't exactly have,” replied Tersil, crouching over to take a look at one of the viewscreens himself, “The Empire provided this ship with the cloaking device and it's likely that they can still detect it even while it is cloaked. Is there anything we can— “

Just then the viewscreen he was peering at blinked and the progress bar jumped to completion.

“What just happened?”

“Apologies for the interruption sirs, but I just corrected some errors in the computation algorithm and enhanced it's efficiency,” chimed in one of the technicians, “The new transponder code should be ready to go.”

“Most excellent,” replied Lieutenant Gossen.

“What is your name Crewman?” asked Tersil.

“I thought we were only recognized by designation numbers sir?”

“We're not an Imperial Vessel anymore and you're still human. We now refer to each other by the names we were born with.”

“Oh...well in that case sir, my name is Coralan. Dak Coralan.”

Tersil nodded and then continued.

“Gossen, prepare the new transponder code for activation. I need to give a status report to Commander Colcha.”

Tersil pressed a button on a console and opened a com channel to Kev-Mas' quarters.

“Commander Colcha, the new transponder code has been created and is ready for activation at your behest. Also, if I might add, if it were not for the exceptional talent of one of our technicians we might not have finished it for another week.”

The com message had awoken Kev-Mas from his slumber, and he groggily arose to reply to it.

“I'll be up shortly to activate the transponder personally. Make sure to point out to me the technician responsible for your success when I get there.”

“Yes sir,” replied Tersil, and Kev-Mas discontinued the com channel thereafter.

As Kev-Mas walked down the hallways to the turbolift, he mused that he could place this technician in a new position as the chief electronics warfare officer. While the Empire didn't have such a specialization in their protocols, this ship wasn't an imperial ship anymore and focus in that area would be needed in their current situation.

Exiting the turbolift onto the bridge, Kev-Mas took over command from his first officer.

“Tersil, who might this technician be?”

“Crewman Coralan,” Tersil replied, motioning him to approach.

“Well congratulations, Ensign Coralan. You're now our chief electronics warfare officer.”

“Chief electronics warfare officer?” questioned Lieutenant Gossen, presenting a slightly confused look on her face.

“We're not an Imperial vessel anymore. No longer will we follow imperial protocol when it comes to running this ship. His new command still classifies as an intelligence based role which is why he still will serve directly under you, but our new mission parameters necessitates an expanded focus on electronic warfare that he will be in charge of.”

“Aye sir. Sorry, I'm still not used to this sudden disconnection from the Empire. It's still fresh.”

“I don't believe you're alone in that Lieutenant. I think we all feel that way, myself included. But the Empire left me no choice but to cut my ties, and quite frankly I now have no idea why I would've stayed in the first place.”

“What do you mean, Commander?” interrupted Tersil.

“Oh… it's a long story, full of those sorcerous ways that always give you the creeps,” replied Kev-Mas as Tersil winced at that last part.

“Either way, Ensign Coralan are you ready for your first task in your new post?”

“Ready when you are Commander.”

“Activate the transponder code. Designate the ship as the Close Call.”

“On it!”

“Lieutenant Gossen, once the transponder code is active and in working order I want you to decloak and open a com channel to the local planetary government of Utapau. If we're going to negotiate a deal with them, we can't just sneak in and expect to get anywhere.”

“Tersil, bring us into standard orbit above the planet's surface.”

Moments later, a tall gaunt near-Human appeared on the screen.

“I'm sorry but Utapau is not taking any visitors at the moment. We're still recovering from our losses encountered retaking the planet from the Empire and need time to rebuild our cities to their former glory.”

“With all due respects,” replied Kev-Mas, “we did not come here for sightseeing. We're recent defectors from the Empire and we came here to seek asylum, in exchange for some valuable imperial intelligence data that could help defend against a counterattack.”

“And if such a counterattack was to happen? Would you help our cause?”

“It would be to the detriment of the both of us if we were to idly stand by and let it happen. Our ship and crew will do what we can to assist you.”

“Thank you so much sir, and apologies for the less than warm reception. Please allow us to escort your ship to the spaceport on Pau City… well… what's left of it anyways.”

Kev-Mas cut the com connection and shortly after a squadron of grey hulled starfighters moved in position around the Wraith to escort it to the planet's surface.

“Tersil, follow our escort to our designated landing zone.”

Tersil nodded and passed on the orders to the pilots who then brought the ship forward to follow it's escort.

As the ship made it's way down, Kev-Mas opened a com to Victus's room to update him of the situation. Victus had also taken the opportunity to rest from the mind meld, but unlike Kev-Mas was not distracted by command duties and was allowed to sleep undisturbed.

“Victus, we have made contact with the Utapauns and they have agreed to grant us asylum in exchange for vital intelligence and our assistance in repelling any future Imperial counterattacks.”

“So we're freedom fighters now? That wasn't part of the initial plan...”

“Technically, we've been freedom fighters ever since we started running from the Empire. The only difference here is that we're fighting for our freedom with the mutual assistance of another party.”

“Technically we’re renegades but your point still stands, let me know when we're landed.”

“The ship is approaching Pau City Spaceport at the moment with an escort of Porax-38s. When we arrive I will inform you.”

Coming in for a landing in Pau City, the devastation seen through the ship's viewport was extensive. Several structures inside the sinkhole city had been crushed by collapses of the cavities and caverns they were built into and smoke was billowing everywhere. The Utapauns had paid a high price for their planet's freedom.

Breaking through a cloud of smoke on it's approach to the starport, the squad leader of the fighter squadron escorting them opened a com channel to the Wraith.

“Close Call, you are free to land in docking bay 49. Have a nice day and thank you for your assistance.”

With that, the fighters dispersed and the Wraith's pilots guided it to a landing in the designated hangar bay.

“Crew, stay onboard and await further instruction,” ordered Kev-Mas, making his way to the turbolift, “Tersil, you have the bridge until I return.”

Taking the turbolift down to the lower deck he opened a com channel to Victus, this time on his personal comlink attached to his cybernetic implants.

“Victus, we have arrived. Meet me in the cargo bay near the exit ramp.”

“Affirmative.” replied Victus.

Arriving at the loading ramp, Kev-Mas waited for a minute before Victus came walking in.

“Come on, they're waiting for us out there,” stated Kev-Mas before lowering the ramp and starting down it.

“Greetings, travelers and welcome to our remote sanctuary,” stated a tall gaunt figure with a menacing appearance. He spoke in a hushed voice with a sophisticated accent and was clothed in elaborate zeyd-cloth robes.

Walking forward with a cane to support him, he motioned towards Kev-Mas and Victus to follow him.

“The name is Tion Medon, by the way. I am the port administrator of Pau City.”

“Pleased to meet you Administrator Medon, I'm Kev-Mas Colcha.”

“Name's Victus. The pleasure is mine.”

“Just Victus?” asked the administrator looking towards Victus, with a hint of curiosity in his tone of voice.

“I was abducted as an infant, given a designation and a rank.” explained Victus, “I only have this name because I fought to earn it.”

The administrator questioned further, “What did you do to earn it?”

“By fulfilling its meaning,” he replied calmly as he crossed his arms, “I am he who conquers.”

“Forgive me for all the questions, but what led you to defect from the Empire?” asked the administrator.

“Lack of competent leadership after the death of the former, namely,” replied Kev-Mas.

“So it is true then, the Emperor really is dead,” replied the Pau'an Port Administrator.

“Yes, as well as the death of Lord Vader,” replied Victus, “But if you weren't sure that the rumors were true, how did you know to start your revolt?”

“That wasn't our main motivation actually. What encouraged us was when the Empire pulled forces away from the planet a couple days ago.”

“Yes, to assist the fleets in action over Sullust and Endor most likely,” mused Kev-Mas.

“You seem to know a lot about this, were you a high ranking officer?” questioned Administrator Medon.

“Oh you have no idea...” replied Victus holding a slight chuckle under his breath.

“Please do explain, what do you mean?”

“We weren't just officers,” began Kev-Mas, “See, Victus here was an Inquisitor and myself? I was the Emperor's Hand.”

Victus raised his eyebrow at Kev-Mas. Obviously he did not understand the necessity to reveal of such information, but Kev-Mas just ignored it and carried on.

“You held such power in the Empire, yet you gave it all up and now risk your lives for your freedom… why?” asked Tion.

“Truth be told, I had no choice,” answered Kev-Mas, “soon after the Emperor and Lord Vader perished at the Battle of Endor, I woke up to get attacked by an Inquisitor and his detachment of Stormtroopers who wanted me dead. Victus on the other hand…”

"Let me answer with a question," the white haired man replied. "I take you, and others like you under my wing. I feed and train you. You serve me with pride, you serve me well. You form bonds with your brothers and sisters in arms, and then one day I choose you, and one or two others to be elevated into higher service, but the others vanish. Gone. Only later you learn that they were slaughtered, murdered, killed in cold blood by others in my charge. Would you despite all the training, all the indoctrination, still hold loyalty to me, even though it was I who gave you house, home, and purpose?"

“Well then,” mused Tion, his glossy black eyes widening, “I guess that’s as good an explanation as any. I admire your sense of honor. I feel you’d do good work here.”

“Victus, Kev-Mas,” addressed Tion as they came upon a base camp of sorts, directing attention towards a short stocky being with tan skin wearing a military uniform, “I'd like you to meet High General Vant. He fought against the Confederacy in the Clone Wars and is now the commander of our resistance forces. He's looking forward to going over the intelligence data you will be giving us.”

“It's a pleasure to meet you,” spoke General Vant in a coarse, gruff voice, “Do you have the data you promised?”

“It's right here,” said Kev-Mas handing him a datapad, “The information included is extensive. Military tactics, rules of engagement, schematics to various technology… you name it.”

“Thank you, I'll have my techs run it over. You have offered a tremendous service to us and most definitely will prove to be a great assistance in the situation that there is a counterattack.”

“You spoke too soon High General,” interjected Tion, “I've just received word that Imperial Star Destroyers were spotted at the edge of the system.”

“Which means an invasion force is imminent,” replied the General, “Get the refugees to safety while I prepare our forces for battle.”

“I'll contact my ship and have them deploy fighters and troops to assist you the best we can,” offered Kev-Mas.

“How many troops have you got?” asked General Vant.

“200 of them, General. 200 former Stormtroopers from the elite 716th Havoc Company at your service.”

“Most excellent, thank you Mister Colcha.”

Kev-Mas then turned to Victus, “Looks like we can't seem to catch a break at all, can we?”

“No, but it is good to face your enemies head on, especially when they won’t see it coming,” replied Victus with a smirk, “The more action, the better.”

“I like the way you think...” smiled Kev-Mas as he tapped his right temple to open a com channel to the Wraith.

Wraith, it looks like we're going to see action after all. Deploy the Reverie and fighters and depart for high orbit.”

“Orders acknowledged commander,” replied Captain Tersil, “I had actually just seen the fleet enter the system on comscan and I was about to com you to ask about it.”

Moments later the Wraith could be seen from the camp, then suddenly disappearing as the cloaking device enveloped it.

“Was that a cloaking device?!” interjected an aghast General Vant.

“Yes,” answered Kev-Mas with a grin, “And you'll find we have a few more surprises as well...”

“Yes,” Victus added quietly. “We’re full of surprises.”
Last edited by kevmascolcha on Tue May 07, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevmascolcha

Re: Star Wars: Unbound Fate

Post by kevmascolcha »

Chapter 3 - Fire in the Hole
Pau City, Utapau
Utapau System
1210 hours

“Alright men,” said Kev-Mas briefing his troops that just landed on the surface in the Reverie. “We’re going to partially split up to cover more ground. The 1048thSnake Eyes squadron will accompany Victus on marksman duty, while the remaining 3 squadrons will accompany me on infantry operations. Our overall goal is to ensure that the enemy forces cover as little ground as possible. We have full knowledge of how Imperial invasion procedures are done. Let’s use that to our advantage and get a little creative. Fall out of the protocols you know and love and start fighting dirty like Rebel scum. This planet’s unique landscape offers an incredible amount of cover, and I suggest we take advantage of it. Use your jump packs as often as possible, jumping from one point of cover to another to cover as much ground as possible. Also, make sure to take advantage of the element of surprise involved with us being here as much as possible. Let them come to us and use ambush tactics effectively. Victus, now explain the plan for your team.”

“We’re going to deploy to a large sinkhole in sector B. It houses a large city, as well as many hangars and ports for civilian and military vessels. It is going to be a target of opportunity very quickly.” He motioned to a holographic display that the general was kind enough to allow him to use. “Considering terrain and what they learned from The Clone Wars they will come in with IDTs not full on landing craft. What does that mean for us? No shields.” He pointed at his squad, “E-11s’ are going to punch right through their rear hull armor. Now our goal is to disable their engines. The hulls will survive the impact, but what is inside will be killed on impact, but the craft should be salvageable.” He looked towards Kev-Mas, “We need to think about salvage in this regard, we don’t have an Empire of resources behind us now.”

“Excellent point, Victus,” nodded Kev-Mas, “This way we can also help supplement the Utapau Skyforce in the very likely event they are invaded again. Victus and his team will take speeder bikes to their location while the other three squads and I will take the Reverie. We’ll drop each squadron at different strategic locations, while the last one will stay along the Reverie to drop in to surprise the enemy troops right after they’ve landed. Today marks our first fight as free men cut loose from the shackles of the Empire. Let’s give ‘em hell!”

The troopers cheered heartily, and then moments later Victus and his men were seen speeding off on speeder bikes, Kev-Mas sending them off with a salute. Shortly after, Kev-Mas’ troops boarded the Reverie and departed as well.

Before moving off Victus directed his team to a separate comm frequency to avoid cross chatter and moved off towards the sinkhole. “When we arrive,” he commed over the wind moving past, “You will spread out evenly around the perimeter of the hole. I’ll take up a position to deal with any who manage to actually land.” They kicked up the repulsors, pushed out past the edge of the sinkhole and began circling around, one by one a trooper broke off, finding a sniper hole and taking up position. Victus for his part landed on the main central hangar, and took up position midway back, out of view of any incoming craft till it was well within the landing zone. Now, they just had to wait.

Coming upon their insertion point the first squad, the 2012thVenomtongue squadron jumped from the craft, descending to the surface with their jump packs. While the comms were separated between Victus’s and Kev-Mas’ men, they both were coordinating through a centralized point - that being the Utapau Sky Force at Pau City.

Inform the Sky Force that the first squadron has been inserted at their strategic location and are setting up fortifications as we speak. With that, they sped off towards the second insertion point and then immediately dropped the second squad, the 1598th Widow squadron.

“Alright Viper squad, we’re going to cloak and lay low until their first landing craft is in,” ordered Kev-Mas, “Ambush is our primary objective, however we may be needed to assist at Pau City.”

It didn’t take long before a loud crack filled the air around them and the air seemed to rush by even more. High above them the sky lit afire, as a Victory Star Destroyer broke orbit into a rapid assault incline. Victus felt it, in the Force and in his bones. They were desperate. There were enough forces in orbit to give them a run for their money and they were so concerned with not taking the planet that they sacrificed what small margin of superiority they had to blockade rush an assault ship into low orbit. Holding his hand up to his comm he shifted to the command frequency. “If they stick to doctrine, we can expect short range bombardment bursts at key command structures. If evacuations haven’t finished to secondary facilities, you have less than two minutes.”

“Roger that, Commander Victus,” replied General Vant over command frequency.

Kev-Mas, noticing the Vic Star enter the atmosphere acted quickly, “Sky Force this is Commander Colcha. I would suggest you coordinate with the Wraith and it’s fighter complement and move in to assault that Victory-class. Bring 2 Dreadnaught-class Heavy Cruisers and a couple fighter squadrons. The Wraith will act as a picket ship to provide additional defense against TIE fighters, while the complement of TIE Hunters will make bombing runs to disable the shields. We will come along to pick up some of your men to accompany the squadron left on my dropship for an assault to seize control.”

“Commander Colcha, with all due respect we’re stretched thin already conducting evacuation procedures,” was the reply from General Vant, “We can provide the ships you need, but our troops are not available.”

“Good enough. I’ll pick up reinforcements from the Wraith then,” conceded Kev-Mas.

With that, all accompanying ships approached the invading Vic Star on attack vectors, and the Reverie still with the cloak running, docked on the Wraith.

Descending down the landing ramp of the Reverie, Kev-Mas then opened a comm to Captain Vosk. “Captain Vosk, I’m sure you’re well aware of our plan to assault the Vic Star that just entered the planet’s atmosphere. Take 4 squadrons and meet me in the hangar bay by the Reverie. I’m going to need you to lead this assault. I will rendezvous with you on your approach to the ship. I’ll be taking my fighter and leading the squadron in fighter defense and assault operations.”

“I’m already one step ahead of you Commander,” said the Captain as he entered the cargo bay, clad in Black Shadow Stormtrooper Armor with a mixed assortment of Shadow and normal Stormtroopers behind him.

“I see your intuition serves you well, Brinlon,” mused Kev-Mas, “Take advantage of those instincts. The Empire may not have liked you to use it, but we’re not restricted by those rules anymore. It will prove to be most effective.”

With that, Kev-Mas walked over to his TIE, grabbed a flight helmet and entered via the entry ladder.

Starting up the Twin Ion Engines of the fighter craft, it came to life, the thrust trace dampers limiting the normal muffling wail sound of the engines into a low hum. With the push of a throttle, Kev-Mas departed the open cargo bay, moving to accompany the 6 more cloaked TIE Hunters on intercept vectors, then de cloaking to engage the enemy TIEs that have been launched to dispatch the assault force.

“Colcha, this is Victus.” The Echani commed as he watched the star destroyer fire on the command center. The ground shook and dust kicked up from the surface filtered down into the holes. “If you hurry, you may be able to enter the main hangar under cloak as they deploy dropships. There is a central power junction that runs past the aft port quarter of the hangar. A few good torpedo strikes would disable the shields long enough for your landing forces to get inside.” The ground shook again as another structure that belonged to the Sky Force command was targeted, “You will need to hurry however, their shields will only be down for so long.”

“Acknowledged, thank you Victus,” replied Kev-Mas. “Alright, all wings cloak and disengage. We’re going in sooner than we anticipated. Reverie, fly up close to the entrance to the Hangar bay while we move in to disable the shields long enough for us to make an entrance. There’s a central power junction that runs past the aft port quarter of the hangar. We need to hit that with a few good torpedo strikes then the shields should be disabled long enough for the Reverie and I to make an entrance.”

With that, the 7 TIE Hunters disengaged the enemy TIEs and re-cloaked, leaving them in confusion and disarray. Moments later, they came out of their cloak and fired a barrage at the central power junction, with Kev-Mas’ ship immediately re-cloaking and entering the Hangar bay alongside the Reverie and the 6 other TIEs moving to advance the enemy TIEs again.

“Alright Reverie,” commed Kev-Mas, “We need to clear a landing. Let’s light ‘em up!”

Immediately after that, the two ships de-cloaked and opened a barrage of laser fire at the enemy troops that had rushed into the hangar bay to greet them, then finally setting down for a landing. As the ships landed, more troops rushed in to greet the troops swarming out of the Reverie, and Kev-Mas leapt in the air with the Force out of the cockpit of his fighter to greet them head on, cleaving 4 of them in two with a throw of his lightsaber, catching it as he descended to the ground.

Victus watched as the Chaos ensued, the entirety of the Empire’s doctrine on warfare was that it held the high ground, it held the technological superiority, it held the ability to instill fear. By turning that around on them they scattered, the TIE fighters broke ranks and ran, some to try and gain distance, others to avoid enemies that weren’t actually there, that was the power of the cloak. Within the shade of the landing bay he watched the dropships sway and turn, an order to return had been issued. He could hear it, in his mind, the panic of the commanding officer of the Victory ordering his troops back.

“We’ve got boarders,” he would yell. The ships rotated, showing their aft quarters to the ground and, crack. A red bolt snapped out from the edge of the sinkhole and struck an engine housing, the craft sputtered smoke, inverted and began a dive. Crack, another this time striking a craft in close proximity to a second, it veered to the port, slamming into the other and sending them both into a spiral. One by one bolts shot out from the snipers entrenched in the rock walls and one by one the one-half dozen dropships trailed smoke and fire as they spiraled down onto the surface of Utapau.

“Victus to Colcha. Any reinforcements that may have come back have been dealt with. I’ll…” He paused, as another comm signal came in, “I’ll… send these men to clean up any survivors… Victus out.”

Kev-Mas received the comm from Victus just as he finished off the last enemy Stormtrooper in the hangar bay with a burst of electrical Force energy. “Acknowledged Victus, thank you. Coordinate with the infantry squadrons we’ve got on the surface as well to outnumber them… just another classic Imperial battle strategy we’re turning against them today.”

With that, Kev-Mas looked towards Brinlon Vosk with his cybernetic eyes. “Captain Vosk, it’s good to see you made it. The recalled troop transports have been shot down by Commander Victus and the troops on the surface are moving in to wipe out any survivors. They still outnumber us by a small amount onboard the ship, but we possess better training than the standard rank and file Imperial troops.”

Kev-Mas then pointed his still engaged lightsaber towards the turbolift in front of them.

“Let's move forward, press the advantage and split up to cover more ground. Vosk, you take 3 squadrons and distract enemy troops while I take the remaining two and storm the bridge. Once we’re making our final approach, I want you to move to assist as soon as you can. Today the Empire shall pay dearly for their betrayal!”

Victus acknowledged Kev-Mas’ response but then went off comms. The entire ride from the sinkhole to the area of the crashes Victus was silent, finger to his ear. He was talking, but not on any of the comms of the Wraith and its forces were using. One trooper noted it seemed as though he was issuing orders of some sort, but couldn’t make out what he was saying. The trooper, discreetly as possible, sent a communication to Kev-Mas via datalink, expressing his concern for this sudden turn. Colcha’s forces did not have reason to trust the Echani yet, and this did nothing but add to that suspicion.

While in the turbolift ascending to the command deck, Kev-Mas received the datalink from the trooper. With a sigh Kev-Mas replied with another datalink stating the following:

“You need not worry about Commander Victus. His assessment of the situation is a valid one and you still outnumber him. If he does indeed move against us or the mission objectives, you have full permission to engage him.”

After that, Kev-Mas opened a comm to General Vant and issued him the same orders he had given to Victus.

“Understood, Commander,” was his reply as Kev-Mas and his troops arrived on the command deck.

“It’s the invaders! Blast em!” was the greeting they received from the enemy Stormtroopers awaiting their arrival. With a clenched fist, Kev-Mas then grabbed the welcoming trooper with the force by the throat as the two groups of Stormtroopers fired upon each other.

“Shhhhhh…..” hushed Kev-Mas mockingly, “Not so loud, you’ll ruin the surprise!”

--------

When they arrived at edge of the crash sites Victus seemed to be more focused with the task at hand. Climbing off his speeder bike he walked towards the first dropship, the other troopers kept their distance, and he could feel their distrust. He ignored it as he reached out, grabbed the hatch door with the force and yanked it off, tossing it off to the side. “Prime target for a concussion grenade right there.”

-------

“Aaarrrgggghh!” screamed an enemy Stormtrooper as Kev-Mas used the force to combust the chestplate of his armor, leaving him to erupt into a ball of flame. Terrified of the ghastly sight, the remaining troopers began to flee. What training they did possess, none could have prepared them to face the terrors of the Dark Side of the Force.

Responding to the tactical advantage that had been opened up, Kev-Mas’ troops had fired back upon the fleeing forces with well placed shots to their hamstrings. Tripping from the impact, Kev-Mas let loose a torrent of electrical force energy at them as they attempted to crawl away.

Kev-Mas then took a moment to motivate his troops. “Let their screams give you strength. It shall be a reminder of how feeble their attempts to defend this ship from our ensuing onslaught shall be. Victory WILL be ours!”

--------

Victus continued to walk through the wreckage, pulling off hatches as the Troopers tossed in concussion grenades to finish off anything that might have survived the crash. It was perhaps not glorious, or even honorable, but this was survival. When they reached the last ship Victus held up a hand calling the Troopers to stop. “Something is… wrong…”

At about that moment, the pods hatch erupted off. Victus side stepped as it flew past where he was, then just as quickly raised a hand and caught the hatch in the Force before it slammed into two of the snipers. Turning back to the ship to watch a figure rise from the smoke. They were cloaked in black armor, and a robe that concealed their face, but the ringed object in their hand was unmistakable.

“Sister…” Victus spat out.

“Brother,” a voice replied, distorted by it’s helmet. “We heard you had died on Coruscant… so glad it isn’t true. Now I get to kill you myself.”

“You can try… but first. You dropped something.” Slinging his hand forward he launched the hatch back at the figure, who deftly left out of the way igniting her saber as she came crashing down on Victus’s position, his blade rising to meet hers. “That wasn’t nice.”

“Clearly you’ve never met me…”

--------

Back onboard the Star Destroyer Kev-Mas’ comm chimed to life, Victus’s voice could be heard over the sound of a lightsabers hum. “Colcha, they have an Inquisitor. And you know what they say about my former order…”

The two then spoke over each other in unison. “There are always two.”

Kev-Mas however did not let this revelation distract him from his objective. It was essential to the success of the mission, and Kev-Mas knew that Victus could handle himself against the Inquisitor. All troops in the 716th Havoc Company were trained effectively in handling Jedi and other Force Users due to their original mission objective, and Inquisitors were no different. If push came to shove, they would be of great help to Victus and provide him with the upper hand.

Moving forwards through the command deck of the Star Destroyer, Kev-Mas signaled the other troops of his to gather on him.

“Captain Vosk, I’ve arrived on the command deck and have eliminated the first group of troops to greet us. Form on my position as soon as possible.”

“Affirmative Commander, we’re enroute effective immediately.”

Walking up towards the bridge it was unusually quiet however, and it didn’t sit right at all in Kev-Mas’ mind. “I’ve got a bad feeling about this…”

--------

The Troopers had opted to give the two dueling a wide berth, as the Inquisitor advanced on Victus, using her lightsabers unique spinning quality in wide arcs as the Echani seemed to dance around it, landing physical blows between her wild swinging. “Stop moving!” The Inquisitor cried out in frustration.

“Stop thinking like an Inquisitor.” He replied as he ducked low under an overhead wing, came up, curled his arm around hers and brought up a knee into her elbow. There was a loud crack as the bones dislocated. Her saber fluttered from her hand, deactivating, and tearing up Victus’s cloak and sand as it did so.

“Damn you!” She cursed shoving him away with her one good arm, giving Victus free time to pull her saber to his free hand.

“Empire damned me long ago Sister, when they stole me from my world, and made me some tool for death and mayhem.” He clipped her saber to his belt as she stumbled to maintain her footing.

“Don’t give me some pathetic story,” She spat, bits of blood hitting the sand, as it dripped out her faceplate. “You were an Inquisitor; you were our Brother. Now you’re nothing but a traitor!”

“No. I was a Shadow Guard. I was their Brother. Then the likes of you came through and slaughtered the only concept of family I knew.” He pointed his saber at her, the crimson blade so close that her hood began to curl and singe. “You cannot betray, that which is not loyal to its servants.”

--------

Victus had neglected to turn off his comlink, so the entire exchange was broadcasted to him. Upon hearing it, Kev-Mas immediately knew that he had placed his trust in the right person. Victus seemed to hold a strong personal code centered upon honor and loyalty, but the Empire was known to deceive and play tricks and he knew that. He was no friend of the Empire, but he certainly was a friend of his.

However, Kev-Mas’ mind had wandered too far and he had allowed it to distract him from the task at hand, and as he came upon the final approach to the bridge him and his troops were surrounded in three directions by enemy Stormtroopers.

“We have you now, traitorous scum!” said the Imperial Officer leading them.

“Really now?” replied Kev-Mas as he reached out with the force and put up a protective bubble around him and his troops, then reached out to one of the troopers’ thermal detonators, and caused it to explode.

The detonator exploded, engulfing the one of the groups in flame and incinerating them. Kev-Mas let down the protective bubble and the remaining troops and Kev-Mas’ forces engaged each other while Kev-Mas grabbed the Officer with the Force.

“The Crimson Dagger is not defeated so easily… These eyes will be the last sight you see, much like any enemies I have faced in the past.”

--------

Victus’s triumph over the Inquisitor was cut short as an explosion filled the sky above Utapau, from the looks of it, and the sense of dread coming from the locals, it was one of their ships. “See… even your victory over me means nothing…” She huffed for air, a rib Victus likely dislocated in a punch having probably punctured a lung.

“We’ll see.” He lowered her saber, and turned to walk away. The troopers around them looked to one another in confusion, then raised their rifles when they heard the woman cry out and lunged forward, but they were not fast enough.

The hilt in Victus’s hand clicked, and sprang out, elongating from a large saber hilt to a full sized saber-pike as he spun, dropping down to one knee, letting the blade rise through the air. A sound that was reminiscent of a bantha steak on a grill top was heard for a brief moment, followed by the accompanying smell as the Inquisitors body slumped, to it’s knees and fell to the ground, the head landing several feet and rolling into a sand-drift.

Rising up to his feet Victus stuck the end of his pike in the ground and held a finger to his ear. “Victus to Reverie, if you’ve offloaded your teams we could use a pickup to assist in the capture operation.”

--------

“Acknowledged Commander Victus, the Reverie is inbound to your location,” replied the pilot of the ship which was still cloaked and hovering around the Victory-class Star Destroyer that it had just offloaded Kev-Mas and his troops upon.

The ship then disembarked and left to meet Victus and his troops down on the surface.

Meanwhile, on the Star Destroyer, Kev-Mas and his forces were in the middle of a heavy firefight, when Captain Vosk showed up with the remaining squadrons, effectively pinning the enemy forces. The remaining forces raised their hands in surrender and Kev-Mas’ forces ceased firing.

“We have taken the brig before we came here, should we take them there?” asked Vosk.

“Yes Captain, they shall be taken as prisoners and interrogated for information,” replied Kev-Mas as they advanced towards the bridge, “Have a squadron take them there while we take the bridge.”

“Sir, the blast doors to the bridge is sealed,” stated Vosk as they tried to open it.

“Thank you, Captain Obvious,” replied Kev-Mas sarcastically, “But they won’t be for long.”

Kev-Mas raised a fist at the door, and it exploded in a ball of flame. The smoke created a small amount of cover as his forces entered the bridge and began to open fire upon the crew. Kev-Mas then held the Captain still using the Force, making sure that he would be alive. He likely possessed valuable information and Kev-Mas intended to get it from him.

--------

Victus stood in the deployment bay, one hand on his deactivated pike, the other on a handle by the door. The Reverie swung around in the bay and the hatch lowered, allowing Victus to step down on the deck followed by the squad of troopers. Victus felt back in his element, like a Shadow Guard commanding a squad of Shadow Troopers, he felt almost at home for the first time since the Guard had been disbanded.

He raised his hand and motioned for the squad to break into two teams, flanking him as they entered the central corridor. “We’re going to assist in taking the engine room. This ship will be the first of many in a fleet to take on those who would dare betray our loyalty.” A door opened, and they came face to face with another squad of troopers, these belonging to the ships contingency.

Victus stepped forward, and low, his pike igniting in angry red as he swung it in a wide arc, taking out several of the troopers in one go as his team opened fire in the confusion, mowing the others down. Rising up, he stepped over the severed arm of one and continued forward. “Expect more, they’ll know we’re coming.”

--------

“Looks like this ship is most definitely ours now,” Kev-Mas thought to himself as he felt Victus’s presence come aboard the Star Destroyer.

With a swing of his lightsaber Kev-Mas lopped off the heads of two crewman that lunged at him. He then let loose a torrent of electrical force energy at two more, as his troops finished off the rest.

Looking to the captain who he had placed in force stasis, he issued a command to Vosk. “Captain Vosk, put him in binders and take a squadron to escort him to the brig. I’ll be in to interrogate him personally shortly.”

Kev-Mas then commed Victus, “Commander Victus, we have just taken the bridge and captured the Captain. Do you need any assistance?”

--------

“No, but unless you have dealt with a second Inquisitor, we have another onboard. Somewhere.” The Echani and his Squad marched into a large turbolift, and began the descent to the power levels. “If you have someone skilled enough, begin shutting down access from remote locations of the ship. We do not want them taking over, or shutting us out of overriding a shutdown sequence.”

The lift door opened, too a trooper firing a rpg into it. Victus held up a hand and caught the rocket in midair. Looking to the troopers on his left and right he nodded towards the Heavy Trooper who had fired the rocket and they raised their rifles, opening fire.

As the trooper fell he motioned to another to shut the lift doors, as the lift sealed an explosion erupted on the other side of the bulkhead causing the lift to shake. When the doors slowly re-opened Victus stepped out and looked to the left and right, taking note of the troopers who had lay in wait and got caught in their own ambush. “Amateurs.”

--------

“Acknowledged,” replied Kev-Mas, then disconnecting the link.

“Alright men, there is very likely an Inquisitor still on this ship. We need to shut down access to remote locations on the ship. We are going to do that as we search for this Inquisitor. I will take two squads with me to search for the Inquisitor while the other will stay here and shut down remote access.”

Kev-Mas then scanned the ship with the Force, hoping to find the Inquisitor, and immediately found him, his presence located in the vicinity of the turbolift, gradually growing stronger.

“He’s coming for us,” stated Kev-Mas blankly, “And he’s alone. Take up defensive positions around the command deck, I’ll take care of him.”

Kev-Mas then waltzed right to the turbolift, arriving as the Inquisitor came out through the door that opened at that moment.

“Well well well. If it isn’t the traitorous usurper. We thought you had perished over Imperial Center. I guess we’ll have to change that to perished over Utapau,” mocked the Inquisitor.

“Is that the story that intelligence is trying to shove down your throats? Try to quell the fears of the public - make them think they’re safe when their Empire made a mistake that could cost them their lives?” asked Kev-Mas, igniting his lightsaber.

He continued mockingly, “Helps morale, doesn’t it? Maybe after I’m done chopping you up I’ll have to hack the Holonet and take advantage of the Tarkin Doctrine. So much for feeling safe.”

“You can try!” sneered the Inquisitor in return, lunging forth towards Kev-Mas and meeting in a blade lock with his rotating saberstaff and Kev-Mas’ greatsaber.

--------

When Victus and the team arrived in the engine room they found the engineering officers working fast to overload the reactor. Reaching out he pulled one of the officers to him, impaling him on his pike and holding him up for the others to see. “You will stand down, or you will die. You’ve already lost the ship, and you have no chance to destroy her now that we’ve taken the bridge. So make the choice.”

He threw the officer to the side, discarding him like trash. “Have a chance to live, and maybe see your families again, or burn like trash.” Very slowly every individual and the few storm troopers began to raise their hands, the troopers dropping their weapons to the floor as they did. “Good.” Victus took a step forward, as a trooper lunged forward, drawing his pistol, only to have a hole burn through his helmet from a blaster shot.

The Echani stepped over the body as though nothing had occurred and walked up to the control console, deactivating the overload sequence and bringing the reactor under control. “Bind them, take them to the brig. The rest of you, help me get internal security back online…”

--------

The Inquisitor was sent flying back into the turbolift as Kev-Mas landed a powerful kick to his chest, and Kev-Mas quickly sped after him. The turbolift doors then immediately closed, and the two battled close quarters as they descended down to the lower levels of the ship. The door opened again as it came to a stop on the crew deck, and the Inquisitor Force pushed Kev-Mas out the door, following after him.

Kev-Mas then reached out to a thermal detonator on one of the several bodies of Stormtroopers and hurled it at the Inquisitor and detonated it, but he dodged the explosion and then lunged at Kev-Mas again. Kev-Mas sent a strong uppercut towards the Inquisitor mid swing and he was sent flying. While he was quick and agile, the Inquisitor’s Ataru strikes were easily defended against by Kev-Mas precision brute force.

Kev-Mas sent forth a torrent of electrical Force Energy at the Inquisitor who then absorbed it with one of the ends on his saber staff.

“Well then, maybe you’ll prove to be more challenging than the last Inquisitor who tried to kill me. You’re still going to die though.”

The Inquisitor then let out a scowl and charged Kev-Mas again. Letting loose a Force push towards the Inquisitor, he was sent backwards yet again.

“Yup, you’re still going to die. How can you expect to win if you can’t even touch me?”

--------

Victus brought the internal security systems back online, and began locking down the crew all across the ship. Those unfortunate enough to be in areas that were going to be vital to their operations found the ships stores of Nytinite gas flooded into their sections. It was as he was going through the crew areas that he saw Kev-Mas fighting the Inquisitor. The former Hand seemed to have the advantage but something seemed off. The Inquisitor was not utilizing the rotational function of his saber, a common tactic in enclosed areas.

“You,” He motioned towards a trooper. “Come with me, the rest of you continue to lock down this area. I am going to assist your Commander.” Lifting his saber pike up the Echani turned and broke into a run towards the turbolift, a trooper in hot pursuit. He did not doubt Colcha’s capabilities, but if the Inquisitor was leading the man into a trap, he might very well need help.

What’s more, Victus would not be satisfied unless he saw his former ‘comrade’ die with his own eyes.

--------

Kev-Mas then walked towards the Inquisitor slowly, who then began to rotate his lightsaber staff defensively.

“How can you expect to win if you can’t even touch me?” mocked the Inquisitor.

“Oh how clever!” replied Kev-Mas sarcastically, “Let’s try spinning! That’s a cool trick!”

Kev-Mas then felt Victus’s Force presence nearing him, and he began to push the Inquisitor in that direction.

“I think you’ll find that I’ve got some cool tricks too!”

--------

The moment the lift open Victus sprang forward, the force wrapped around him he was a blur, leaving the trooper behind with explicit orders to catch up. He felt the other two presences growing stronger, the confidence of Colcha, and the frustration of the Inquisitor. As he approached an interception he skidded to a stop, Colcha and the inquisitor where in sight, and Victus raised his pike and slammed the end down into the durasteel deck.

There was a moment of eerie silence, broken only by the hum of lightsabers as the clack echoed through the corridor. “Brother!” He spoke the word with such venom that only a fool could miss the spite, “Do you know where you are?” His pike ignited, and he spun it on his side till it came to a stop at an angle behind him, blade to the ground, as he slowly marched forward.

“Loyalty was a word bred into us.” He started, the blade etching a line through the floor as he moved. “Loyalty to our brothers, our sisters, the Shadow Guard. A family, joined in pain and service, black, faceless, and united.”

“You were taught loyalty to the Emperor!”

“The Emperor is dead!” His foot came to a slamming halt as he placed himself equal distance from the Inquisitor as Kev-Mas had been driving him back. “The Order was everything. We lived together. We dined together. We died together.” He raised the pike, blade forward at the Inquisitor. “You stand between the last remaining Shadow Guard, our pact with Palpatine is dead. Our pact with each other, however…”

“Is alive and burning stronger than ever,” finished Kev-Mas, who then slammed his blade down on the Inquisitor’s spinning blade, gripping his greatsaber firmly, stopping the blade and causing the motor to short out from the stress.

“You’re going to need a lot more than fancy lightsaber hilts and spinning blades to stop us. You’re going to need a lot more than an entire Empire to stop us. You shall not win this fight. Not now, not ever.”

Kev-Mas then let loose a force push towards the shocked Inquisitor and he was sent flying into a bulkhead.

“Let’s finish him,” said Kev-Mas towards Victus, “Together.”

Victus nodded, pulled the Inquisitor saber attached to his belt out and tossed it into the air between them. He caught it in the air with the force, the blades springing to life at it spun. “Let’s do it with a bit of… irony.”

Kev-Mas chuckled at Victus’s creativity. “Get up slime!” he commanded to the Inquisitor. “There is no honor in killing an enemy when they are down, come and get us.”

The Inquisitor then reached out to send a torrent of electrical Force energy on Victus’s floating Inquisitor saber, for which Victus did nothing but rotate it faster. “Only works if your saber’s actually held by someone.” Clenching his fist the saber’s rotation stopped, and in a flash of speed embedded itself into the bulkhead wall, through the Inquisitor’s shoulder. “Like this,” A massive arc of lightning sprang from the Echani’s fingers into the saber, and burning its way through the Inquisitor, and sparking up along the bulk head. After a moment the lightning subsided, and the Inquisitor was left smoldering, but alive. “He’s yours to kill. He holds no honor so there is no honor to take in his death anyway. Slay him like a akk hound, for that is all he is worth.”

A massive ball of flame erupted from Kev-Mas’ hand and was hurled towards the already smoldering Inquisitor as the former Emperor’s Hand let loose raw destructive power upon him. His screams pierced the thin air of the Star Destroyer as the flames engulfed and consumed him slowly.

“He holds no honor? I’ll let him suffer then.”

Victus watched the pyre for a moment then turned away, “We need to get this ship to the Utapauns. If they have the people to crew it, we must field it in battle. They’ve already lost a Dreadnought.” He stepped up to the turbolift and waited for Kev-Mas to join him. “I’ve secured Engineering, and the crew have been contained or incapacitated. But we need at least four hundred hands to man this ship to be even the slightest bit effective.” He paused, and looked up, as though into space through the bulkheads. “I need to get to the Hangar.”

“I’ll contact the Sky Force and have them bring up a crew as well as some fighters,” replied Kev-Mas, “I’m getting reports that the 2 TIE squadrons on this ship were single handedly eliminated by the Wraith and it’s complement of TIEs.”

Tapping a finger on his right temple to activate his comlink, he contacted General Vant, “General Vant, the Star Destroyer above the surface has been captured. We’re going to need 400 crewmen as 2 squadrons of Fighters to bring back into the battle on our side. I suggest you bring them up immediately while the skies are still clear.”

“Most excellent, we have completed our evacuation efforts and we have enough soldiers to spare,” replied Vant, “We’ll send them right up.”

Moments later the shuttles and fighters from the Utapauns arrived in the Hangar bay to greet Kev-Mas and Victus.

While the men were disembarking from the shuttle, Kev-Mas took the time to address Victus on something he was curious about.

“Victus,” began Kev-Mas, “As you were taking care of the crashed drop ships one of my forces mentioned that it looked like you were giving orders over comms, but they could not tell to whom. Do you mind filling me in on what those were?”

Victus was standing at the edge of the main hangar’s egress, observing the ground below when he looked up to Kev-Mas. “Friends.”

“Sir,” It was a comm signal from the bridge. “We’re getting odd readings in the upper atmosphere, if these readings are right there’s… but that’s.” Frustrated with not being able to articulate and knowing his Commander would be as well he transferred the visual and sensor data to the hangar’s large display.

The energy spikes increased, someone with intimate knowledge of hyperspace mechanics would realize it was the residual signature of a craft traveling through a gravity well at rapidly decreasing hyperluminal speeds. “And they’re here…”

The Atmosphere snapped in fire for a moment as a Gozanti cruiser snapped into existence and began rapidly decelerating on a path towards the planet’s surface. The sensors struggled to get a read on the ship due to residual radiation, before the scanners finally identified it as the ISC Shadow of Veils. The ship began firing retro-thrusters, pulling up out of it’s dive as it adjusted course towards the Star Destroyer.

“I take it that ship that just came out of hyperspace are the friends you’re talking about?” assumed Kev-Mas.

“Yes, ship under my personal command. She was on assignment when this all went down. They’ve been in contact with me since Coruscant. However I was… concerned about revealing the information till the time was right.”

“That’s completely understood and probably for the best,” nodded Kev-Mas, “Had you informed me or my crew about this they probably would have less reason to trust you. Now that you have proven your loyalty though, this isn’t a problem anymore.”

Kev-Mas opened a comm to the bridge, “Don’t worry. The ship that has arrived is friendly. You can thank Commander Victus later for the reinforcements.”

Kev-Mas then turned to Victus again, “Shall we go meet these friends of yours?”

“No.” He shook his head, “They’re dropping something off then joining the battle…” The cruiser passed underneath the destroyer without stopping, but even from the hangar they could hear the loud clang of several objects detaching. The distinct sound of TIE engines roared to life as three Avengers and a single Oppressor rose up through the hangar opening. Victus raised a hand, and directed them towards an empty landing area, and they slowly began to make their way in that direction.

“Ahh,” mused Kev-Mas, pointing to the TIE Hunter of his, still in the hangar bay where he left it, “Then I take it you’ll be joining me there as well?”

“Yes. We still have two more Star Destroyers to deal with.” The Oppressor landed closest, and the cockpit hatch unsealed and a winch lowered down which Victus walked over towards and put a foot through the loop of and started to slowly rise up. “The Shadow of Veils is specially designed to disable larger ships, but it will take her time to disable one Star Destroyer, let alone two. We’re going to need to provide cover.”

Climbing into the cockpit, Victus pulled a headset on and initiated the hud. The system recognized his biometrics and brought up his usual displays. Shields and munitions on the left, power regulation and engine/thruster control on the right. “This fighter,” he started over the comms, “is armed with two Ion Cannons, Four Laser Cannons. It is also fitted with 8 concussion missiles, and an energy bomb launcher. If you would be so kind as to provide cover for me. I’ll pound their shields for my Cruiser’s Ion Cannon to be more effective.”

Kev-Mas, seated in the cockpit of his own fighter initiated start-up procedures and replied to Victus over comms. “Acknowledged. Both the Wraith as well as its fighters and I will provide cover. Let’s get this party started.”

As his fighter’s engine began to come to life, Kev-Mas issued a comm to Captain Tersil onboard the Wraith.

“Tersil, new orders. I want you to provide defensive cover for Victus’s ship and have the fighters group in with me to cover his fighters. Before you ask, yes, I’m talking about the ship that just came out of hyperspace.”

“Affirmative, Commander.”

The shuttle moved off, allowing the group of TIE fighters to move into launch positions. Normally they’d drop from the hangar’s roof down into flight but given this unusual situation they simply lifted from the deck floor and eased down through the hangar exit. The groups formed up into a flying V. Victus at the fore, Kev-Mas to his port, and the TIE Avengers filling out the second and third line back followed by Kev-Mas’ other TIE Hunters.

“Temporarily taking on designations, Red Squadron.” He hit a few commands, and issued designations to the rest of the fighters, Starting with Kev-Mas as Red Two. “Our goal is to break through the anti-fighter line of the Imperial Star Destroyer, and hit its shield generators. All commands from this point forth come from Red Two.”

The fighters broke from under the cover of the Star Destroyer as it rose into the atmosphere. Their Ion Engines burned trails through the more volatile portions of the upper exosphere and before long they broke orbit, screaming through the dark towards the battle. It was clear that the Sky Force was struggling to hold ground but the Imperial Forces had gained no clear advantage beyond the first loss. “Remember, the Empire betrayed our loyalty with threats of death. They thanked our service with a blade behind the back and a promise of poison. We shall return unto them the same. Red Leader out.”