Blood and Dust

Write stories with friends. Open them up for anyone to participate, or for a set group of people. Either way everyone can enjoy the journey.

NOTE: All entries and replies are to be In Character. There is usually a comment thread in the Stories/Journal Comments forum for OOC comments and questions.
Bean

Blood and Dust

Post by Bean »

Perimiter of Petranaki Arena, Geonosis, 22BBY

"Master Kania, I am CC-7811. My unit has been assigned to your command," the white armor, red accented trooper stated as the Sullustan climbed aboard the transport, followed by a young bothan.

"Captain, I am no master, call me Kanten. This is my apprentice, Cuh," as the bothan acknowledged the trooper. "And what do your men call you?"

The trooper paused for a moment, expressionless helmet tilting towards the shorter male. "Mostly Captain, sir."

A trooper in the doorway opened fire into the crowd of droids

"Very well. What have you been told?"

"Sir, Command requests we approach a hive spire to the west, clear the main structure, and move into the catacombs. Unknown defenders. We have a thousand men on stand-by aboard the Durasteel. Your orders?"

"Begin the landing, I will leave the specifics to you, you have more training in military matters than I."

"Yes, sir. Landing craft on approach, we will join them shortly."

Long minutes later, they joined the swarm of landing ships approaching under heavy anti-air fire. Several transports burst into fireballs, others were hit and smoking as they fell towards the planet. The bothan's eyes went wide, and she turned to the clone commander

"Captain! Is there anything that can be done about the anti-air?"

"That's what we're here for, ma'am. We clear the tower, then the rest of the troopers land and help with cleanup."

"...Master Kania, what is happening? This doesn't feel right!"

"You are right, my friend. This much death, it means something has gone very wrong. And I feel that it will not end soon enough. But we have a job to do. Keep your mind on the task at hand," said the Sullustan in accented Basic.

"Of course, master," replied the young Bothan, eyes still wide.

Two missiles streaked from the dorsal launchers of the ship, a pattern that repeated across the remaining landing craft. A series of explosions burst from the side of the tower as some of the anti-air weapons were destroyed, and the landing craft approached various outcroppings and platforms. Kanten and his apprentice leapt from their transport as it hovered a few meters above the platform, using lightsabers to reflect blaster fire into the squad of droids approaching the platform. As the ship settled on the platform, the troopers quickly moved into positions around the two Jedi, joining the reflected fire with rapid blue energy bolts of their own. Some troopers fell to the fire, slumping to the ground. As the ship lifted into the sky again, green beams cut into the droids from the wingtip weapon pods, small explosions blossoming as power cells ignited.

Soon the defending droids were disabled, with troopers finishing several with single bolts, the smell of singed circuitry and burned ozone hanging over the platform.

"Captain, how many men made it into the tower?" Kanten asked, his green blade snapping back to the hilt. Cuh followed suit, then moved to help medics with the wounded troopers. Landing craft again approached the spire, moving in to load the wounded.

"Current count is just under seven hundred and fifty in fighting condition, with a few dozen wounded. Most of the dead were on the approach."

"I certainly hope we don't have to do things like this often."

"Agreed, sir. My men are moving to strike at the remaining artillery, and scans show a large power source two levels down."

"Then we shall turn out the lights. How many men can you get here?"

"There's what we have left, plus an additional forty on this level. Another thirty one level down. Total of a hundred."

"Alright, Captain. Gather the ones on this level, and then we will move to gather the rest below. You and I will take seventy, the rest will be with my apprentice. She's young, but her instincts are good and she is quite skilled." The bothan's ears flicked as she pretended not to hear. "Give me a moment to brief her."

"Yes, sir."

Kanten took the Bothan to the side. "Cuh, listen to me. This is not something I ever expected, and I know your training in combat tactics is all theory," the Sullustan said, placing his hands on the Bothan's shoulders. "Trust the Force, trust your instincts, and trust the troopers. They are skilled in this in ways that we are not. I have confidence in you, and so should you. You are going to take some of the troopers and approach the power source from the opposite side. Have the troopers contact the Captain when you are in position. We will engage the enemy, and you will attack when they are engaged with us."

"Thank you, master. I will not let you down."

"No, you won't, my friend." The Sullustan smiled, and then stated "May the Force be with you."

Very minimal resistance was offered as they met with the other troopers and moved to the lower level. It appeared that most of the droids had been destroyed in the landing. The troopers and Jedi approached the large door that scans had shown the power supply to be behind, setting up firing positions and preparing to breach. The Captain signaled to Kanten, and both took cover. A few moments later, the door was blown open, and a stream of battle droids poured out. The troopers commenced fire, automatic blaster fire tearing into the droids.

Kanten sprung from his cover into the crowd of droids, his green blade making quick work of the flimsy B1 units. A few B2 models appeared, but concentrated fire and the Jedi's lightsaber saw to them. Suddenly, the noise of blaster fire and small explosions was punctuated by the sound of metal on stone.

The Sullustan turned and shouted to the clone troopers, "Captain! Destroyers! Signal Cuh!" and leapt to cut off the approach to the trooper's position. As the destroyer droids unfolded, the door on the opposite side of the main chamber blew open and more blue blaster fire poured into the room, striking technician droids as clone troopers, led by a bothan wielding a blue bladed lightsaber, took positions in the chamber.

Bright red blaster fire began started from the three destroyer droids, striking down several clones. Kanten managed to reflect some back at the three legged droids, but their shielding protected them from it's effects. The Captain made a few hand signals, and one of the troopers dropped his weapon and moved a missile launcher from his back. After a moment, fire shot out of one end of the tube and a fast moving projectile from the other. Striking the destroyer, the explosion enveloped the droid.

Kanten motioned, and two crates flew across the room, smashing into the last two. As they flailed on the ground, the Captain and another trooper moved forward and fired several bolts into them, and movement stopped.

Clones quickly moved into the chamber, some moving to control screens and others to downed comrades.

"Captain, let your men know to move down to the lower levels once they are finished with the gun emplacements. When we finish shutting down the reactor, we'll move into the catacombs. What are our numbers?"

"Seven hundred or so, not counting wounded. Some of the upper levels had more droids. Looks like they were expecting an air assault, sir."

"Hopefully the catacombs go better than the approach, then."
Kanten Kania (Wiley Old Man)
Darrando Rivet (Has Rancor, Will Travel)
Koga Veki (Showtime)
Bean

Re: Blood and Dust

Post by Bean »

Dul Gratha, Outer Rim, 31BBY

"My gods this place is a hole..." muttered a male human with a deep core accent

"We're in the outer rim, everything's a hole." replied a calm female voice. "Granted, most of the outer rim isn't tents and mud, but at least no one knows where we are."

"Rane's got the idea, Chappy. Welcome to Dul Gratha, home of the galaxy's most irritating mud, murkiest water, and as of today the Republic Volunteer Group," came a second male voice, older and with a distant Corellian inflection. "Which, rememberu, you signed up for. So make do."

"Yessir. Tents and mud it is," replied the woman, with a smirk.

"Again, Ranes, we aren't military anymore. Stop calling me sir."

"Alright, Pops."

"You're hilarious. Just you wait till we find something to call you."

Around them, tents go up next to fighter craft, a twelve ship mix of variations on the venerable Cloakshape fighter. The only signs of a landing area were a few larger tents on one side of the camp, and a plasteel circle just big enough to land a single transport ship on. Already, foot traffic begins to work the ground into a thick paste of mud and plant matter, the sucking sounds of synthleather boots and cursing filling the camp. The occupants, mostly human with a few distinctly non-humans interspersed among them. Most of them wore dark blue jumpsuits, quickly browning to match the ground around them, with similarly colored jackets over black vests and synthleather belts. Others, concentrated around the larger tents on the side of the camp, wore dark grey overalls and tool belts.

After a brief conversation, the older male moves away from the two younger humans. "Alright, time to update everyone. Rane, go grab the engineers. Chappy, round up the rest of the squadron. Platform in ten."

"Yessi- Sure thing, Pops."

"Right away."

The older man looks around at the gathered mix of beings and climbs up on a crate.

"Alright, ladies, gentleman, assorted genders. Most of you know me, but for the sake of those who don't. My name is Tragen Matick. Up until a few weeks ago, I was a squadron Commander in the Republic Judicial fleet. Recent events have lead me, like many of you, to believe that a war is inevitable and that the Republic will not be ready. Call it politics, call it sticking their heads in the sand, it won't matter. So we're here, in the far end of the galaxy, to do what we can for the people who need it.

Before we get into specifics, I just want to tell you that your presence here is important. Not only to me, but to all the people that the Republic and the Jedi can't or won't protect. That said, as you've noticed, luxury is not what this is about. We're on the fringes of the Republic and a shoestring budget. The fighters around you represent most of our assets, and won't be replaced easily. Which is why we are going to push training till you can't stand flying anymore, as hard as that may be. Our backers have emphasized to me how limited future credits will be, so waste not, want not.

That's that. Now to the fun parts. Red Wing will be lead by myself, with Jabber, Tiny, and Moony. Blue will be Chappy in the lead, with Viss, Ramti, and Degro. White will be Rane, Horth, Monk, and Jash. Engineers should see Chief Pock for ship assignments, and then go meet your pilots. And to the pilots, especially newer ones. Every pilot here will have secondary duties, helping keeping these ships up. Chief and his engineers will be teaching you basic maintenance and check procedures. Pay attention. Training flights start in three days.

In addition, anyone with any skills in food prep, logistics, fabrication, or art should see myself or Jabber.

Welcome to the Republic Volunteer Group.Back to work."
Koga Veki (Showtime)
Bean

Post by Bean »

Alderaan, 18BBY

A middle aged gentleman in a long cloak sits across from a young boy. The boy has red-brown hair, and a look of anguish.

"Right now, the galaxy doesn't make sense to you. I admit, there are many days where it doesn't make sense to me. Your father was a great man, and he died trying to do something right. And your mother... She is trying to do something right, too. But if you are as much your parent's child as I think you are, there will come a day when these things will make sense. When that happens, we will have a place for you. Until then, listen to your grandparents. Tanaab isn't so terrible."

The older man rises, and walks out of the room.

Tanaab, 12BBY

Two speederbikes tear across the grassy plains, each with a rather small rider. One who knows speederbikes might say they are traveling far faster than reasonable. As small as the riders look, they appear to have some competence at handling the machines. Looking closely, the riders both have huge grins. The maneuvers get more and more risky, each rider seeming to goad the other.

A year later, two teenagers sit under a tree, overlooking a pasture. A reddish-haired male, and a brunette female. They both look upset. A herd of nerf grazebelow, oblivious.

The young woman speaks. "The doctor says I'm probably gonna lose my hearing... So much for being a pilot. Apparently, they don't let you fly if you're deaf, like sound travels in space anyways."

"Well, you can always fly with me. I know it ain't the same, but... I guess it's better than nothing. "

"Thanks, I guess. You always know just what to say to make a girl feel special."

Four years later, a young man is arguing with an older man. The first man has a bloodied nose and is splashed with mud.The younger man is shouting, and the elder looks angry, but tries to keep his voice calm.

"I know you're upset about Sabel, but--"

"Upset?! My only friend on this mudball just died! The best part of my life on this backwater pit of a planet! Upset isn't even close!"

"Darrando! Calm down and listen. Whatever you're feeling, it's normal. But you can't be picking fights like this! And taking off in the middle of the night? You're gonna get yourself killed out there!"

"Fine! Three for three on dying stupidly! Family is doing great!" shouts the young man, stomping off.

Coronet, Corellia, 7BBY

A man stands in a shadow, watching down an alleyway. Two women approach, one carrying a bundle. He waves them over, when another figure appears around the corner, dressed in the uniform of an Imperial officer.

"You there! You two! Where are your papers!? Hurry up! And you. I don't know who you are, but you can get lost, these two are mine!"

The officer is agitated, and the women look to each other, then the other man. He shifts his eyes slightly, towards the officer, then backs away slightly. The officer turns to the women, and unholsters his sidearm. He begins pointing it in the direction of the two women.

The first man crouches down, and picks up a discarded brick. He approaches the officer quietly, from behind.

A bar, somewhere on the outer rim, .5ABY

A famliar man with red-brown hair sits at a table, with a bottle in one hand, and the other stretched across the table. He's humming half a song to himself, when his commlink chimes. He mutters something and brings the link to his mouth.

"Who's this."

"Hey Darrando, it's Kiranti. Ya can skip pretending to be angry at me. Got a simple job for ya, and some people to meet. Been working on this station..."
Koga Veki (Showtime)
Bean

Post by Bean »

Port Jato, late night

The lights in the medcenter aboard Doctor Sahir's ship were dim, as the man floated in the bacta tank. The gentle hum of the droids and machines is interrupted by a door opening and closing, then footsteps. A deep inhale, and then a few gentle notes from a stringed instrument. Soon after gentle singing, an old lullabye, sewn with sadness.

The song pauses for a few moments. A pained voice, a woman used to speaking with confidence, but lacking in it at the moment.

"I... If you can hear me, I know there's not much I can say that'll make sense. You were too young, and I was too stupid. It hurt too much. I couldn't... The idea of you following in my footsteps was too much. Guess you got all the hard parts of both of us. Someday I'll be able to explain better. For now, you just get better, and no more of this, alright?"

She sings another verse of the song, and quietly walks back out the door.
Koga Veki (Showtime)
Bean

Post by Bean »

Agathon Medical Center

The human male sat on the floor, half-asleep. His clothes are winkled, and his boots are muddy. Another figure moves through the doorway, then sits on the floor next to him. Her hair is a bright white, her clothes much neater and far more brightly colored.

"Howdy spacah," her rough accent chopping the end of the last word short. "Been a while."

"Yeah, it has."

"Ain't quite what we imagined, is it? Then again, we nevah really thought we'd make it." She adjust her hair. "She's mad about you."

"No accounting for taste."

"If there was, you'd never have married me."

The male smiles, tired.

"We're both mad. Like a sack of hungry screechweasels. We've both done things that we don't wanna rehash." The woman looks down at her hands in her lap. "I'm sorry this took so long."

The man put his arm over her shoulders.
Koga Veki (Showtime)
Bean

Post by Bean »

Dantooine, Roughly 29ABY

One one side, lined up along low stone walls and on top of buildings, an array of beings of all species, soaked in the rain. Blaster rifles and pistols in their hands, the groups are interspersed with dark gray beings, armed with spears and clubs, dressed in crude rags. Their faces say determination, but their eyes give away the lie.

On the other, a sizeable group of uniformed soldiers, blaster weaponry and armor muddy. Bright lights shine from the camp behind them. More faces of determination, more truthful eyes.

In the middle, a single male human in an overcoat, stands in the rain. He faces towards the soldiers. His eyes and his face tell the same story.

A group approaches from the side of the soldiers. Three, armed with holstered pistols. Six, armed with rifles, led by a green eyed, young human woman with light brown skin.

"Sir, we're here to ask you to move," she speaks, her voice firm.

"Ask, Lieutenant. You know that I'm not going to do so."

One of the pistol armed men steps forward, a male human, between them in age, and says with a crisp Core accent, "Step aside, sir, or we will remove you." The sir is exaggerated, sarcastic.

"Heard that one before. You'd be wise to let the woman do the talking. She's the only one here with any judgement."

"I am in command of this operation, not some Lieutenant. Your... Associates have one hour to remove themselves or be removed."

"I'll see you in an hour, then."

The group of soldiers returns to their line, the young woman turning back to face the man briefly. He smiles.

Back in the command tent, the male officer rants about 'squatters and technophobes.'

"Major, their parents and grandparents built this settlement. The tribesmen stood with the Republic when the Empire tried to burn them out, and..."

"That's enough, Lieutenant. You're here to translate, not advise. If you ever want to command anything more than a kitchen detail, you'll remain silent. In one hour, we will go out and remove them all, by whatever force necessary. Them and their 'diplomatic advisor'."

After an hour, the group again approaches the man standing in the rain.

Again, the young woman speaks first. "Sir, please. Move. Don't do this."

"Good to see you again, Lieutenant. You know I can't and won't move." His smile is genuine, and his greeting honest.

The Major appears again, hissing into her ear. "Arrest him and get on with it, Lieutenant."

The woman closes her eyes for a moment, and then turns to the Major. "No, sir."

"You've just ended your career, Lieutenant. Sergeant Major, arrest the both of them."

"Fraid not, sir."

"And why not?!"

"Because you're a jackass, sir. Grade A."

The Major pulls his sidearm, aiming at the young Lieutenant. The older nikto enlisted man aims his rifle at the officer, and soon the group of soldiers is in a stand off,s houting orders and counter-orders. The human stands silently, watching, as does the rest of the crowd. A few moments hang in the air, and the crowd of soldiers parts, as a male human, with similarly toned brown skin and bright green eyes walks quickly through it, followed by a young Rodian and a dozen blue-uniformed beings. The two in front wear brown and tan robes, and each has a metal cylinder on their belt.

"All of you, stand down, before someone gets hurt. Stand down, dammit!" he shouts as he grabs the rifle out of one soldier's hands and drops it on the ground, before moving to the Major. "Major Kes Yorri, you are under arrest, by the authority of the Chancellor. Drop your weapon."

"I don't take orders from Jedi. Someone, grab him and get him away from here," Major Yorri orders, shoving the pistol closer to the Lieutenant.

Without a sound or being seen, the male human has the officer disarmed, and his nose broken. The blue uniformed beings quickly have him cuffed, and the nikto and the female turn to the rest of the soldiers, ordering them to stand down and lower their weapons. The arresting party quickly moves the Major through the crowd and on to a shuttle, while the robed human talks to the young lieutenant.

"I can't stay long. That piece of work has royally screwed up a lot of delicate situations. I'm glad to see you. And I'm sure no one will notice if you take a few days leave," he says as he turns and walks back to the crowd.

The young woman quickly turns back, removing her helmet and armored vest, running to the solitary figure in the rain. She jumps into his arms, and they settle into the mud, her tears and apologies buried in his chest.
Koga Veki (Showtime)
Bean

Post by Bean »

A Datapad, delivered to Senator Naokea

Recent events on Dantooine have demonstrated several issues that will only become more pronounced as the New Republic secures it's place in the galaxy. For all the flaws of the Empire, it did bring a certain amount of order to smaller worlds, which often lacked a law enforcement system of their own. The events on Dantooine, to me, have demonstrated:

1) The New Republic lacks a civilian law enforcement service.

2) The military, while enthusiastic and invaluable, has greater concerns.

3) Out lying planets do not have the resources to handle threats beyond a certain level.

4) The lack of detention and holding facilities.

5) Communications and logistical problems.

6) No set protocol for VIP (Senators, Diplomats, etc.) security.

I propose the creation of a dedicated civilian law enforcement agency, under the authority of the Senate. It's duties would include:

-Enforcement of New Republic laws and regulations in the absence of local security
-Senatorial and Diplomatic Security
-Protection of New Republic civilian government facilities
-Detention and transport of accused and convicted criminals.
-Assistance to civil security groups by request
-Fugitive recovery
-Maintenance of a criminal information database and warrant system
-Domestic intelligence and counter-intelligence operations

The execution of these duties would be handled by three sub-groups.
-Uniformed Law Enforcement Personnel, including a Rapid Response Group.
-Non-Uniformed Investigative Personnel
-Covert Operations

The organization would be primarily equipped with surplus military equipment, particularly uniforms, vehicles, and a limited selection of weapons. As discussed, I also request the long-term use of a MC30 or 40 cruiser. Additionally, a selection of smaller vessels would be useful, for rapid response. I would like to begin early-stage recruitment of specialists in certain fields, with a focus on retired or retiring military personnel. I also request the power to create an identification card, based on the current standard military identification, that will be observed by New Republic alligned planetary security,as well as a traditional law enforcement badge.

Signed
Darrando Rivet
Koga Veki (Showtime)
Bean

Post by Bean »

The New Republic Senate Chamber, Hanna City, Chandrila

The Speaker of the Senate stepped forward to the podium. "Senator Naokea, the floor is yours."

"Thank you, Speaker. I requested this time to allow an associate of mine to speak."

A male human, bearded, wearing an empty pistol belt, stands from behind the Ithorian. "Thank you, Senator Naokea."

He stretches his neck slightly and clears his throat.

"Senators of the New Republic. Some of you already know me personally, or know of me. Some in my capacity as a smuggler, specializing in the transport of political refugees, escaping slaves, and persons of interest. I see some among you that at one point or another, traveled with me or requested my assistance.

A smaller number of you know me in another capacity, as what might be called a deniable asset. At various times in the past seventeen years, I have worked on behalf of the New Republic, and it's preceding organizations. In this capacity, I have stolen, lied, cheated, kidnapped, and killed. I have run weapons to the groups the Alliance decided it could no longer officially support. I have killed or abducted specific officers and personnel of the Empire and other organizations. I have smuggled narcotics, so the Alliance could pay it's bills. I have recovered stranded operatives and soldiers. Most of this I did working on my own, with no official or unofficial support.

I do not say these things to brag to you. Most of you that didn't already know this about me, don't particularly care, and this speech could be in some ways considered my retirement. But some recent events on Dantooine may have given some of you in the Intelligence community reason to question my credentials. I share this information, in the hopes of demonstrating my understanding of the realities of this war.

For those of you that haven't heard, a bounty hunter in pursuit of the price on my head for my part in a Republic operation, came to Dantooine. Instead of me, he encountered a few people I consider friends. Kasig Tey, At-Lon, and At-Ley. Former slave-soldiers of the Hutt Cartel, who fled bondage with their families, and came to Dantooine at my request. This bounty hunter killed them. He also killed the owner of a tavern, and seven members of the New Republic Army, whose assistance was requested by myself and Senator Naokea.

Eventually, this bounty hunter surrendered. I took him into custody, and almost immediately was contacted by a New Republic Intelligence officer. This officer first requested, and then demanded the release of this bounty hunter. At various points, he issued vague threats against me. They appear to be laboring under the idea that I am simply obstructing them because I don't care.

The truth is, I would have gladly handed off the mercenary, if this intelligence officer had approached the situation with the least bit of intelligence. That hunter came to what is now my home, and killed my friends. What I wanted was to be able to tell their families, that the being that killed their loved one, faced something resembling justice. That the New Republic gave a damn about them. That you don't get to kill people, just because some organization that lacks any accountability finds you useful.

If he had been brought to trial on Dantooine, I cannot say with certainty that he would be convicted. That is what a trial is about. After that outcome, I would have gladly let the New Republic do as they wish with him, knowing that he would no longer find safe haven on Republic worlds. Of course, I could not outright say this in any official way. There are terms for suggesting that, ranging from Obstruction of Justice and Aiding and Abetting the Escape of a Prisoner. But the most damning one would be Treason."

The human pauses for a moment, rubbing a temple.

"I am willing to bet that every being in this chamber has lost someone in this war. Friends, family. Some have lost entire populations. What did all of those people die for? Did we take up arms, and dig into trenches, and cover our hands in blood, just to change the names and symbols, forgetting what it was that lead us to rebellion? Did we look too long into that abyss? Can we even see our way out of it again?

What I was asked to do was, in my mind, treason. Perhaps the law would see it another way, but my relationship with the law has often been long distance. I did not spend over half my life fighting, to have the institutions of the justice co-opted by the needs of military expedience. Anyone who is paying attention knows this war will end, and it will end unpleasantly at best. There is very little anyone can do to prevent that. That's war.

What concerns me more, is what happens after that war. We are reaching a point, now, where most of the people in the galaxy have never known the galaxy without the Empire. Do we really want them to spend their entire lives in a galaxy where the ideals that backed the Petition of Two-Thousand are drowned in the grey sea of 'doing what is necessary?' Will there come a day when the New Republic reflects upon its own nature, and sees nothing but the same beast it once saw in the Empire?"
Koga Veki (Showtime)
Bean

Post by Bean »

Dantooine, some time during the Imperial occupation

Ivunuvi Naokea walked alone in the rain. The small garden, on the hill with the now charred remains of the old gardener's house, was one of the few places that no one bothered her. The Imperial occupation of her home was stressful, but it had not devolved into combat in the streets yet. As much as it might pain her to think it, she was glad she was here and her Commissioner was busy off world. He could be combative when the mood struck him, and his brief visit was enough.

"Senator Naokea." A figure in a black robe stood in the garden. The voice was young, male. From his height, humanoid.

"Yes, can I help you?" she replied.

"Yes, you can. You can tell me where it is."

She tilted her head. "I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about."

Suddenly she felt herself fly towards him, feet scraping the mud. "You are alone, here, Senator. Tell me what I want to know."

"I don't know what you are asking!"

Again, she felt herself fly, and her back pushed against a tree. Not an impact, but not gentle.

"Again. You are alone here. I want it. Whatever it is, I can feel it. In my mind. Give it to me."

More figures stepped out of the shadows. Most humanoid, some taller or broader than most humans. Each carried a weapon, ranging from swords to clubs and knives. "Give it to me, or my friends will search every house and building until we find it. We will kill every living thing in that town, and then we will go to the outposts and kill them. Every living thing on this planet."

"I don't know what you are after!"

The figure speaking nodded, and a mud covered rodian stepped forward, wielding a large knife. He was within two feet, when he seemed to disappear with a thud. The knife dropped point first into the mud. A brief pause, and a figure from the crowd, a trandoshan wielding two crude clubs disappeared in a similar fashion.

The robed figure stepped towards Ivu, snapping a flickering red lightsaber to life."Whoever that is, show yourself, or I will kill her!"

At the edge of the crowd, a hulking figure stepped out of the darkness. Over seven feet in height, and four large arms. He walked quietly, his wooden staff tapping the ground gently. "You will do no such thing."

"Grixter Deff. I thought you were off world. No matter." The figure motioned, turning off his saber. Several members of the crowd turned on the Besalisk. The first to reach him was a female human with a shaved head. As she charged him, he turned, raising a large, booted foot to meet her chin. A crack, and she was on the ground.

The large being turned. "Run, Senator," he stated, as he turned to the oncoming crowd with his staff, catching another attacker in the chest with the end. The hooded figure leapt into the fray, the flickering red blade joining the attack. Ivunuvi took his advice, fleeing towards the town.

Later, she would return with Parodan and Renell. Many of the crowd of supposed dark siders lay dead, most from simple blunt force injuries. Some bore the obvious signs of lightsaber damage. Neither the Besalisk or the hooded figure were found there.
Koga Veki (Showtime)
Bean

Post by Bean »

Tanaab

Two deep brown eyes stared, an eyebrow raised towards the top of a once-shaved bald head, quickly growing stubble. They say around an old wooden kitchen table, the smell of roast nuna and fresh bread in the air. The woman licked a spoon clean, putting it back in the freshly empty soup bowl. "Yeah, I know where it is. And I can bring you there. But you need to know that this isn't gonna be quite what you think it is. Not the worst idea I've ever heard, but be prepared for some problems. Gotta make some arrangements."

Hutt Space, on the edge of the Corporate Sector

The dull hum of the engines was reassuring. Whatever he said about it, the creaky B-7 was familiar to him. He knew it's quirks and problems. A lot of both, but he knew them. He'd let the ship sit for too long, and the reactor was giving him some weird error messages through the computer. Nothing dangerous, but it kept him busy during the flight. And by keeping him busy, it meant away from the circus in the cargo hold. Aside from himself, there was Koga, Eti, Eti's fathers, the family cats (including nearly half a ton of Carova) and his loyal companion, the huurton Rioux. It wasn't a long flight, but it wasn't a big ship. The women were conspiring, and Par wasn't helping, with his playful jabs. He wanted to grab them, tell them how foolish this was, what the planet was like. But Eti had decided, and once the Nautolan chose a course, change was rare. At least they hadn't brought the Rancor.

They drifted out of hyperspace, Par and Ren laid prone in the cargo hold. Space sickness. He wondered how it hadn't been knocked out of them by years of travel, but there was a lot about the two he didn't quite get. They were kind enough, fiercely protective, to a fault in Parodan's case. His affection for the tall blonde was tragic in it's way, and Renell did his best to show his own platonic love for the redhead without leading him on. Ahead was the red-brown sphere of Ord Padron, Koga's homeworld and one of the ghosts of Darrando's past.

Ord Padron was a planet of troubled history. Four thousand years prior, it had been a temperate world of farmers and warriors. When the Mandalorians came on their conquest, they found the people a harder fight than most. Limited technology saw the locals facing the heavily armed invaders with old rifles and spears, but they fought hard. Eventually the farmer-soldiers retreated into the mountains, and the Mandalorians were forced into a brief stalemate. The short time ended with an orbital bombardment from the overhanging fleet, cutting the tops from mountains and scarring the planet. Now, great storms moved across the planet, and the seasons were years long. Farming was limited to a few basins where water gathered, but the planet was cripplingly poor.

The city, being the only one of note on the planet, shared a Huttese architecture theme with Tatooine. The entire city was a yellow-tan color, short, rounded buildings with dish-shaped roofs, almost all made of sandstone. They flew low over the slums around the main city wall, the shacks and huts with multi-colored metal roofs passing quickly under them. The "starport" wasn't even a building, more likely a patch of ground where the residents had learned not to build. There was only one building taller than two or three stories, a tall, flat sided spire near the center of town. The side closest to them bore a large hole, slightly charred around the edges, the first reminder of his previous visits.

No anti-air guns tracked ships through the sky now, there was nothing for them to defend. Probably sold off long ago. Maybe some of the soldiers we able to buy some food. Maybe someone saw a doctor. More likely the credits, or peggats, went into a binge. Cards, drinks, spice. The ways people escaped places like this.

Koga didn't look out the windows. Nothing was new to her there. Instead, she wrapped her head in a faded red scarf, over her armor concealing robes. Far more tans and browns than her usual outfits, but it fit her. She knew how to wrap the scarf to cover her mouth, how to cover the blaster in the folds of the robe without slowing down access, how to walk in the soft sand as they exited the ship. The rest of them looked like they were, out of towners. She looked like she belonged.

They made their way through the town, people steering clear of their guide, the woman with the red scarf. Some people still remembered the stories of the first days after the bombardments, when the few remaining soldiers came down from the shattered mountains, weapons in hand. The red sashes, once tribal identifiers, had become faded face coverings, the sign of a warrior. It told them that the people with her were not to be accosted, not to have their pockets picked, not to be grabbed into an alley. It said, "My people survived the end of our world." The large cats just added to the warning.

It worked. They stopped at a stall, and she ordered, the mix of Huttese and Basic flowing. She pretended it didn't bring her back, to the nights when there was no food, when her father would wander into the dark so he didn't have to listen to them cry. She knew that didn't matter now, that the few credits in her pocket could feed a few square blocks for a month. She also knew that if that hadn't been her childhood, she likely wouldn't have survived adulthood. She took the unidentified meat, skewered on thin metal, and handed one to each of her traveling companions. Another reminded, of the times her father had enough to feed them. Simple spiced grains, roasted meats. Sometimes rations, when one of the craftier locals managed to fill their pockets before the guards noticed.

They ate, only a few staring. Some at Eti, Nautolans being exceptionally rare. Some at the half ton of cat lounging nearby. Some at her, stares of slightly shocked recognition. Some at him, with even more shock. If they had noticed the redhead and blonde, it was due to sheer height. After eating, they moved on through the city, packs of children running in the streets, adults sitting in the few shady spots. No one except the children seemed to be in any hurry to get anywhere.

After a long walk, longer for being in the sun, they reached the second largest building in the city. Not as tall as the spire, but wide. A repurposed hangar, facing out into the desert. Koga pulled the scarf away from her face as they approached, shouting up at a window opening, smiling wide. "Achuta! Ugaan, you slime-swilling shark, let us in!" she yelled, followed by a string of Huttese curses.

A metal door swung open, revealing an older twi'lek male, heavyset, with grey-green skin. The chair he sat in hovered slightly above the ground. "Well dobrah slimo, you are here! I tell you girl, stop coming back here. Or are you finally here to stay with me and ditch that flyboy?"

"Hello, Ugaan." spoke the human, poking his head around the door.

"Hello, Rivet. Not dead yet? Shame, that. This girl deserves someone who can give her everything!"

"Everything being a hangar full of junk on a planet no one wants to go to?"

The twi'lek laughed loud, his chair moving back to let them in, an eyebrow raising as the assembled menagerie entered. "Ya always did bring the strange, girl. Got her all ready for you, as rockarocka as all this is."

The young Nautolan interjected. "You think this is a bad idea?"

"No, no. I know it is! Going out into the storm? For a dead ship? I dunno what your part in this is, young'n, but my advice is to either stay here and keep me company, or sprint back to the ship that brought you before someone else gets it."

The tall redheaded human interrupted this time, "Storm?"

"You mean the lovely Koga hasn't told you? You're driving into the eye of the storm! Yknow, the dust and lightning cloud?!"

The two tall humans shook their heads in near unison. "Hutt Hells, Koga, what're you doing, dragging a buncha newbies out there? Last time I saw you, you were half dead after being out there, and it's gotten worse! The storm line's eight miles closer now, and the way people talk, there's something else out there. Callin' it the 'Demon in the Storm'. Folks say they see em walking out of the storm at night, and sometimes they hear ships movin' around at the line!"

"Ugaan, most of those people couldn't see their hand in front of their face if you didn't draw it on their eyelids," Koga replied, rolling her eyes. "Besides, last time I was on foot. This time we're taking Glennis, and you won't let anything happen to me and her at the same time."

"You're right, love. Couldn't bear the thought of losing either of you, let alone both," the twi'lek sighed. "This is still a damn fool idea, goin' after that ship. But if you're gonna insist..."

The twi'lek lead them into the next room, the main hangar space. Parked in the middle of the floor was a beaten and battered Clone Wars assault tank, huge and wheeled. All the weapons had been pulled off, and years of modification and abuse left it covered in scratches, dents, missing panels, cargo netting, and dust. A large tow harpoon sat on a mounting on the back, freshly mounted from it's cleanliness. The rear hatch hung open, and two small droids were moving a speederbike into the cargo area.

"Now the droid'll take you where you tell it. But you bring this thing back, right? Gotta make a living somehow. Can't be doing acts of," the twi'lek paused and adopted an expression of exaggerated disgust, "Charity. Especially for people who damn near got me killed!"

"I know, Ugaan, and you know how much I appreciate this," the human woman replied, smiling. "And you were the one who almost got yourself killed, remember? Someone had to bust into that jail? Drag you out?"

The twi'lek smiled. "Ahh, memories. Just bring Glennis and yourself back, alright?"

The heavy vehicle rolled steadily over the dunes, bending at the articulated "neck." The cats were unsteady, not used to the pitching of a vehicle that physically touched the ground. The modified astro-droid in the cockpit navigated a fairly smooth path around most dunes, but every once in a while, the passengers felt the momentary weightlessness as the juggernaut crested a dune. Koga and Darrando sat in the simple seats, not appearing to notice much. Eti did her best to put on a brave face, not quite used to the physical sensations, and the conflicted emotions of the two were not helping. Ren and Par had once again found the floor to be the safest place, along side the confused cats.

After a couple hours, the vehicle rolled to a stop. Koga stood, and went to the cockpit for a few moments before returning. "Anyone who doesn't want an hour taken of their life should cover their mouths," she offered, pulling the scarf back over her mouth before the rear hatch opened and the bike floated slowly out. The compartment filled with dust, and the harsh wind howled outside. The woman mounted the bike, and the hatch closed. Soon they were rolling again, slower, with gentle changes in direction.

Another hour, and they stopped again. Koga's voice could be heard over the shared commlink, muffled under her coverings. "Alright, masks on and come on out." Darrando and the droids handed out heavy re-breather masks with independent air supplies. The hatch opened again, and the group stepped into the swirling sand.
Koga Veki (Showtime)