Cantina - (Open to all)

Write stories with friends. Open them up for anyone to participate, or for a set group of people. Either way everyone can enjoy the journey.

NOTE: All entries and replies are to be In Character. There is usually a comment thread in the Stories/Journal Comments forum for OOC comments and questions.
Peetbink

Re: Cantina - (Open to all)

Post by Peetbink » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:36 am

Ashisa answers the patented smile with her own and speaks kindly to Meg,
"Please bring me a small meal without meat and herbal tea, any will do"
Being content with her own answer she resumes her reading.

Sandarie

Post by Sandarie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:08 am

Meg walks away tapping on her datapad to get the order placed for Ashisa.

The droid leading Goldie heads to the service elevator and deep down in the bowels of the station, a bright light shines out of a section, with music blaring. An old appearing sentient sings loudly, while plinking and hammering away on the chassis of a protocol unit.
Sandarie
EiF Community Manager

dalolorn

Post by dalolorn » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:36 am

Goldie stares at the organic in confusion for a few moments.

Code: Select all

ping bip-squee
(Who are you?)
Literal TranslationShow
who now-you?
Last edited by dalolorn on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
European RPer, occasionally dabbling in crafting and stuff.

Currently active characters:
  • Dal Adarom - Sarcos Group Agent
  • Fennla Lan - Tinkerer and Adventurer
  • Nalth Kaaru - Bounty Hunter

Sandarie

Post by Sandarie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:44 am

The old looking man doesn't notice Goldie at first. He's tinkering away at the protocol droid. Scrubber, the R3 unit accompanying Goldie, rolls up, prodding the man in the shin.

"Hey! Scrubber! Ya bucket o' bolts! Did ya come down for a nice oil bath? Does that little blue haired woman keep ye busy cleanin' up after everyone?"

Scrubber beeped and booped a response, then rotated his dome to look at Goldie. The man turned to eye the other droid curiously. "Say, I do see that ya brought a friend this time!"

Squatting down on his haunches, he gave Goldie a level look, "So, what can Tinker do for ye today, lil' one?" If one looked closely at Tinker, they'd realize he was pretty wrinkled, but his eye twinkled with bright intelligence.
Sandarie
EiF Community Manager

dalolorn

Post by dalolorn » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:45 pm

The astromech doesn't seem too bothered as he explains his situation, as if he's always been that way:

Code: Select all

doop-zang bebepo-boodle doip-bedoop pip-biddle squee diboppy beep doop
(I've got a lot of mismatched parts, and Scrubber said you could try to fix me.)
Literal TranslationShow
me-body very-much-metal-trash friend-droid past-speak you can-try fix me

Sandarie

Post by Sandarie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 pm

"Sure can take a look. I gots me lotsa parts 'round here. Lemme take a look" Tinker checks Goldie over, runs a few diagnostics then starts to rummage about.

MEANWHILE:
Meg delivers a scrumptious meal to Ashisa along with the requested herbal tea. "Here ya go. I had them add a little fruit on the side for you." Meg grins at the woman, who'd been reading.
Sandarie
EiF Community Manager

dalolorn

Post by dalolorn » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:03 am

While the astromech is offline, Tinker finds that Goldie wasn't exaggerating - while his external configuration and carefully-applied paintjob suggest that he's a relatively new R2 unit, no more than two years off the assembly line, his internals paint a very different picture. His brain, for instance, appears to be based on a badly damaged Intellex V scavenged from an R3 unit, with a number of modifications that somehow allow it to run at peak efficiency despite its condition.

The rest of his body isn't much different, containing parts from various R-series astromechs ranging from R2s to R5s and a number of miscellaneous components. Whoever built him seems to have done a fairly decent job with the parts they had - but they didn't seem to think like most engineers, and some things, like the light blaster and shield generator, seem to have been added late in the design process almost as an afterthought.

Without consulting Goldie's original builder, completely fixing him may be difficult. Still, there are some places where replacing a low-quality component should be fairly straightforward.