The Sarcos Endeavour (RP Background)

Write stories with friends. Open them up for anyone to participate, or for a set group of people. Either way everyone can enjoy the journey.

NOTE: All entries and replies are to be In Character. There is usually a comment thread in the Stories/Journal Comments forum for OOC comments and questions.
dalolorn

The Sarcos Endeavour (RP Background)

Post by dalolorn »

This thread contains various miscellaneous content related to the Sarcos Group and other stuff.
Finalizing PlansSPOILER_SHOW
*** SoroSuub Personal Luxury Yacht 3000 "Fifth Share", en route to Port Jato ***

A blurry holographic figure materialized on the yacht's holoterminal. "Mister Adarom," the figure started, "I trust you've gotten settled in?"

"Yes, I have," Adarom answered. Behind him, a large Weequay was idly sharpening a dagger behind the bar. "But with all due respect, I have some... reservations about this plan. I don't know if we can select people who would want to work for us without breaking our cover."

"That's not your concern," the hologram told him. "I'll handle the final selection, and I'll find a way to make them useful. All you have to do is make the arrangements and see to it that everything goes smoothly."

Adarom nodded and turned to the Weequay. "Qarris, could you leave us for a minute? There's something we need to discuss in private."

Qarris shrugged at the human. "A'right," he said indifferently, then got up and went into the cockpit.

"You wanted to talk about Qarris, I take it?" the hologram asked once the Weequay was gone.

"Yes, I did," Adarom replied. "Are you sure we can trust a mercenary like him on a mission like this?"

"Oh yes, quite certain," the figure confidently stated. "I'm paying him far too much for a little piloting and posturing, and he knows it. More importantly, he knows that if he betrays me, sooner or later I will come for him and end him, as slowly and as painfully as I can afford to." Adarom's posture unconsciously stiffened in response. "You worry too much, Adarom - I chose you for this mission because I believe that you are capable of seeing it through. The mercenaries you recruit at Jato will be useful, one way or another. And if they don't... hopefully the profits from the fight will help us recoup at least some of our losses."

"Very well. Adarom out."

The transmission ended.
European RPer, occasionally dabbling in crafting and stuff.

Currently active characters:
  • Dal Adarom - Sarcos Group Agent
  • Fennla Lan - Tinkerer and Adventurer
  • Nalth Kaaru - Bounty Hunter
dalolorn

Re: The Sarcos Endeavour (RP Background)

Post by dalolorn »

Off to AgathonSPOILER_SHOW
*** Docking Bay 4, Pandath Spaceport, Taanab - "Watcher" ***

The holoterminal beeped behind Nalth, indicating an incoming transmission. Before the bounty hunter could react, his droid Goldie plugged in and put it through. "Thanks, Goldie," Nalth said, turning towards a holographic image of his Sarcos handler, Dal Adarom. "Mister Adarom. What can I do for you?"

"We've heard some... interesting rumors," Adarom started explaining, "concerning the planet Dantooine. Of particular interest is the fact that many of these rumors seem to be centered on a small town called Agathon. I won't pretend to know much about it, but if even half of what we've heard is true, it warrants investigation."

"Agathon?" Nalth let the name wander through his mind for a moment, until he remembered Fennla was there. "I've got a friend who recently moved into Agathon. What's this about?"

"It would appear that there is an uncharacteristically high amount of Imperial activity in the area surrounding the town. Following an attempted invasion of Dantooine, an Imperial Lambda-class shuttle crashed in the town. Shortly afterwards, a clandestine Imperial outpost near Agathon was demolished - rumor has it that the explosives were planted by Imperial forces."

Nalth frowned. "So there's still someone in the area?"

"A plausible assumption, yes. There is far too much happening on Dantooine right now for us to simply ignore it; effective immediately, you are on indefinite assignment to Agathon. Find out whatever you can, report in regularly, and do not engage any involved parties without prior authorization. Understood?"

The bounty hunter nodded. "Perfectly. I'll get underway immediately."

"Good. Adarom out." The hologram faded away, leaving Nalth to his own devices.

"Goldie, get clearance for take-off and start the engines. I think it's time to pay Fennla a visit, hmm?"

Code: Select all

eebloo-biddle doosquee ting bop doop-bleep ewhree eeyoo-zi-zang-doop
(Yay, we're going to see Fennla and Aurie!)
"Now how did I know you were going to say that?" Nalth asked smilingly.

As the ship took off, he added: "I wonder what they've gotten themselves into this time..."
Droidspeak Literal TranslationsSPOILER_SHOW

Code: Select all

joy-speak we go see my-maker join helpful-zero-body-droid

dalolorn

Post by dalolorn »

Cutting LossesSPOILER_SHOW
*** Efennpi Ninnoh's Hideout - Mos Eisley, Tatooine ***

"He blew it, played his hand too soon. How's that my fault?"

"Sure, it's not," Dias answered, "but it's still a problem. We're gonna have a hard time bailing him out now that they know he's got backup."

Efennpi kept pacing the room, talking into the comlink. The bounty hunter she'd been assigned to help, Ghaal Mooal, had made a failed attempt to escape captivity in Destalon while she was still trying to sneak back into the town. "So we drop him. Big deal, one less murderous psychopath to work with. But how're you planning on getting me out of this mess?"

"I'm not. If they want to take you, we'll work something out - but for now, just lay low and let it blow over. Not like they know your name or anything, anyway."

"Yeah, unless the Ithorian rats me out," the Lethan retorted. "Some plan."

"Can't exactly go around declaring war on this 'Foundation', you know. Boss is gonna chew me out for losing Mooal, but if he wants it done differently, he can just say so. Niaga out."

dalolorn

Post by dalolorn »

Mission Report NK-47/01 (DATA CORRUPTED)SPOILER_SHOW
"... to trace Eti's datapad to a Star Destroyer, the Obedience. Whatever they're looking for in that reliquary, these commandos haven't been wasting time."

"Storm commandos in Agathon... interesting. You are sure of this?"

"Well, there's always a chance Eti got the details wrong, but there's not a lot of room for misinterpretation."

"No, I suppose not. Very well, Mister Kaaru, you have my permission to act on behalf of the Agathonians. If you learn what is in the reliquary, however, please do not hesitate to include it in your report."

"Understood."

"Oh, one more thing, for the record. You have not mentioned the ongoing Imperial activity in your reports to me. As far as I know, there has been no Imperial activity since I sent you to Agathon. Do you understand what I am saying?"

"I think so, yeah. Kaaru out."

dalolorn

Post by dalolorn »

Mission Report NK-47/02 (AUDIO RECORDING)SPOILER_SHOW
Things have been pretty quiet here since my last report.

Well, except Ghaal getting into a shootout in a nearby tavern. When I heard about it, I thought it might be a great way to drag him into this - we could use a good tracker down here, and more firepower couldn't hurt either. Unfortunately, the Republic's so pissed off about it, they refused to even consider making a deal for his backup. I hope they're right about this... if those commandos have their way, we'll probably all get killed down here.

Speaking of pissed off, that broadcast of yours? Bad idea. As good as it sounds on paper, I'll be hard pressed to find someone in Agathon who didn't mind you sticking our collective noses in their business as publicly as you did. Some of them, like Fennla and maybe Eti, understand that it wasn't my idea, but the others... let's just say I've gotta deal with a Republic commander who'd just as soon toss me out an airlock as let me help out. Lucky for me, you can't really find airlocks on a planet. *chuckles*

Something else has me worried right now - Commander Rivet let slip that the Republic hasn't got any plans for dealing with the commandos yet. I know we don't have enough intel to stop them yet, but that's hardly the same thing. It gets worse, too; he seemed more worried about shutting us up than stopping the commandos. Is he just that by-the-book, or are these people actually stupid - or callous - enough to think this'll just blow over if they pretend it's not happening? As naive as they sounded at the time, even Eti's ideas were better than that!

Listen, if you could send us some medical supplies, or armor and shield generators, that might help smoothen things over a bit. Maybe. I hope.

dalolorn

Post by dalolorn »

Mission Report NK-47/03 (AUDIO RECORDING)SPOILER_SHOW
Well, I've figured out what they're protecting in that reliquary. That's my secondary objective taken care of, right there. It turns out it's a bunch of random trinkets some of the Dantooinians have been collecting and sending over to them. They look rare, so I'm guessing they don't want to risk them getting stolen or broken, but... *chuckles* The Imperials are gonna be disappointed if they ever make it in.

Other than that, the investigation's stalled out. Ran into a group of voritors on the outskirts, and while I've managed to chase them off, they got a few good hits on me. My suit's full of holes, and I'm going to be out of action for a few more days. I'm just hoping nothing new pops up while I'm waiting on some new armor...
Clandestine Transmission Aurebesh-420SPOILER_SHOW
"... Are you sure?" Bleras asked after a few moments.

"Well, it makes sense," Fennla remarked. "Nalth says Eti was kinda trying not to admit it outright, but... he knows she's Force sensitive, and I'm sure Fazza's a Jedi. A reliquary full of Jedi stuff wouldn't be too out of place around here. Neither would a few more Force users, to be honest."

"You sure know how to pick 'em…" he remarked dryly. "You know, you didn't have to tell me about this."

"Maybe you should visit. Get to know these people, maybe learn a thing or two."

"Yeah, because nothing says "I've got nothing to hide" quite like bringing in another Force user. Haven't you guys got enough trouble as it is?"

"Booooring," a masculine voice told him. Fennla recognized it as Bleras' companion, Aurek's 'brother' Besh.

"Can it, Besh," Bleras sternly replied to the AI, before focusing back on Fennla. "It's too risky - if the commandos figure out who I am, they'll quickly realize who you are and figure out there's probably a good reason you called me in when you did. They're already too curious for Agathon's - and your - good as it is."

"All the more reason to go help out," Besh argued. "I'm telling you, if old age doesn't kill me, all this boredom will."

Bleras sighed. "I hope this transmission's secure... The last thing you need is a bunch of Imperials overhearing what you just told me."

"You wound me, Bleras," Aurek remarked, her voice full of mock indignation. She then began patiently explaining the security measures used by the Companions to protect their conversation: "The data stream is being routed in fragments across a wide range of different paths and reassembled at the destination; furthermore, it is heavily encrypted, using a one-off encryption key which was transmitted - also as a series of indexed fragments, encrypted with a more standard encryption protocol - to a dead drop both of us were watching. The decrypted key was then bundled with a pile of random data, which was then encrypted and sent in fragments again, after which the intermediary program self-terminated to ensure it cannot be compromised in any way.

"I should be quite impressed," she concluded proudly, "to see the Imperials even detecting our communications through the usual HoloNet chatter, never mind deciphering a word of it."

"Yeah, forget I said anything. Look, Fennla - as much as I'd like to come over and meet your friends or whatever, it's just not a good time. Maybe later, when you don't have a bunch of nosy Imperials looking over your shoulders."

"Okay," Fennla reluctantly said. "But I'm going to hold you to that!" she added playfully.

"Sure. Anyway, I'd better get going before I miss my flight. Besh, Aurie, you two do whatever you need to do - I'm out."

The transmission ended a few moments later.

dalolorn

Post by dalolorn »

I'm actually retconning this one into having been sent shortly after Fennla was hospitalized, because I think it makes the timeline look better (and make more sense, for that matter) if Bleras gets the message right away.
Clandestine Transmission Aurebesh-421SPOILER_SHOW
Fennla critically injured by Nalth. Gave the surveillance footage to Besh; ought to make a good excuse for a friendly visit.

dalolorn

Post by dalolorn »

Mission Report NK-47/04SPOILER_SHOW
"Everything's going to hell around here..."

Nalth sighed. As accurate as that was, it wasn't going to be detailed enough for Adarom. "Fennla's in the medcenter - she's in critical condition because of what I had to do to her, and while she is gonna recover eventually... well, let's just say my odds of staying out of any holding cells are getting worse with every hour."

"You're getting ahead of yourself," he heard Aurek remark through the intercom. When she was setting her place up, Fennla had made sure the AI had eyes, ears and mouths in every room in the house, and this was no exception. Unfortunately. "Even after what you've done, Fennla does not easily hold grudges. I do not think she will let you come to any harm."

"Aurie, unless you want to out yourself to all of Sarcos, I'd really appreciate it if you could keep quiet."

"Oh, it's not like I'm not going to be helping you edit those recordings anyway," Aurek replied nonchalantly. "Remind me again, what was it I had to clear out of your last report?"

"Fine." Clearing his throat, he continued the report: "I'd tell you you should pull me out, but the only way I'm leaving Agathon right now is if I run. I might not like the idea of getting arrested, but I'll be damned before I make things any worse for you than they already are. If push comes to shove, and I wind up having to get out, I want you to cut all ties to me; say I've gone rogue or something. Won't be too far from the truth by then."

"It doesn't have to come to that," Aurek assured him. "It won't."

"Yeah, and Rivet'll start farting butterflies," Nalth dryly retorted. "Even if Fennla really wanted to get me out of this mess - and I doubt she'll be that interested in helping me - even if she put everything into keeping me out of trouble, you and I both know there's nobody else in this Force-forsaken town who'd be ready to look past what I did to her.

"It's just a matter of time," he concluded, "before it's all over. But I am not going to go down without a fight. They want to take me down? They'd better come prepared."

dalolorn

Post by dalolorn »

There But for the ForceSPOILER_SHOW
Fennla slammed into the wall.

The impact felt like it'd broken every bone left in her body, and it took all of her strength just to stay conscious. She looked up, just in time to see the vibrosword descending towards her head—

—and snapped wide awake, breathing heavily as she remembered where she really was. Looking to her right, she could tell that Fazza was still sitting by her bedside. Whether the old Ithorian was still meditating or taking a nap, she couldn't tell; all she knew was that he seemed thoroughly unfazed by her awakening, and so she was alone.

Of course, she was never really alone anymore. "Bad dream?" Aurek asked through the speakers on her datapad - or perhaps it was the comlink, she couldn't tell from where she was lying.

"Yeah, not one of my better ones," she replied quietly. It still hurt a little to talk, but she could breathe fairly comfortably now.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Fennla sighed. She wasn't falling asleep again soon, and in her condition there wasn't much else she could do. "Okay. You know that time Maennia was poisoned, went berserk and nearly killed me?"

"Quite well," Aurie answered. "It was one of the few events Zorren deemed important enough to commit them directly to my memory." After a brief pause, she asked worriedly: "Is that what you were dreaming about?"

"Yeah, sort of. See, I was armed this time. I had a vibroblade - more like a short sword, really - and instead of trying to snap her out of it, I... tried to fight her."

"That couldn't have gone well," Aurek remarked dryly.

"It kinda did, at first; I managed to hold her off for a bit. But then she managed to disarm me, and after that, things went more or less the way I remember them, with me dodging her swings as well as I could while she tossed me around with the Force. And then when she threw me into that wall at the end, she didn't wait or hesitate or anything. The last thing I saw before I woke up was her sword coming down to... I don't know, take my head off, or cut through my skull or something. Kinda hard to tell when you're about to die."

"Indeed. So, why do you think your mind is wandering back to those days?"

"How should I know? Maybe I'm just catching up on missed nightmares," Fennla retorted.

"Perhaps," Aurek responded thoughtfully. "Or perhaps you are looking back on a time when battle and unnecessary risks were your last resorts."

"So I take it you're with Nalth on this one?" Fennla asked suspiciously.

"At times like these, it is difficult for me not to sympathize with both of you. Your acts - up to and including fighting Nalth - were, in a word, reckless. Did you ever stop to consider what would happen if you had found the Imperials?"

"I... I know it was dangerous, b-but..." Fennla reluctantly defended herself, "Even if they caught me - even if they killed me - you'd know where I found them."

"A revelation which would have been meaningless. We would not be able to catch them before they disappeared again, and your excursion would have served only to claim your own life. That is why Nalth objected as vigorously as he did; that is why he found your arguments unsatisfactory. If you had sacrificed yourself for the greater good, he would regret his failure to protect you from harm, but he would understand that you died the way you wanted: making a difference in this galaxy. He could learn to deal with that, but knowing you wasted your life on a mission that was fundamentally flawed...

"It's the same sort of mistake that nearly got you killed at Mos Carova. Since your last encounter with Aleysia Nur, your inability to defend yourself has been replaced with an equally dangerous overconfidence. Perhaps more so, for at least then you knew not to go into battle unless it was absolutely necessary. If left unchecked, it may very well be your undoing; Nalth sees it too, and this probably contributed to his decision."

"So... I should leave," she concluded. "Before I get myself killed."

"No," Aurie said gently. "Fennla, your strength has never been in your body, or your ability to fight. It has always been on the inside: your mind, your heart, your spirit. All but the most trivial and most superficial of your successes have come from there; they were won without you needing to so much as throw a punch. Maennia could not have been saved by a vibroblade - it were your words and feelings that saved you both.

"Just yesterday, I witnessed Nalth, Parodan, Zarek, Eti and an unknown Besalisk overcome a dark side adept on the outskirts of town - a blaster, two swords, a staff and Goldie against a lightsaber and the Force. All of them emerged in excellent condition, against all odds, because they were united and fighting not just for each other, but for everyone else in Agathon. I now believe this city to be one of the last remnants of the Jedi Order - if not in name, then in purpose. It will survive a handful of marauding commandos, and as long as you remain more mindful of your limitations, you shall survive along with it."

"I think... that makes me feel better," Fennla admitted. "Thanks."

"That's what I'm here for, isn't it?" Aurie quipped, before leaving the Twi'lek to get some rest.
Last edited by dalolorn on Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

dalolorn

Post by dalolorn »

Senator's Gambit, Part ISPOILER_SHOW
The hologram flickered and faded into existence, displaying an obscured image of the Coordinator.

Looking at the hologram, the Commander wondered why the Coordinator bothered to keep up these theatrics even between the two of them. Codenames, obscured images, voice modulation... none of it mattered when he knew already. And he knew the Coordinator knew it. "Your orders, sir?"

"Senator Feruk has raised an army to help the Republic retake Dantooine," the Coordinator explained. "I want you to take the Manipulator and the Immovable, along with one of the Retrotenebris prototypes, and stop him before he reaches Dantooine."

The Commander frowned. "One unit? How many ships does he have?"

"Doesn't matter - none of them are large enough to threaten a Star Destroyer. Use the prototype to seize the Senator's ship, and take him alive; deal with the rest as you see fit. It's time we saw what Retrotenebris is capable of, and the Senator's entourage will make an excellent field trial. Do you understand?"

"As you wish," the Commander said, and the transmission ended.

*** TO BE CONTINUED... ***
Last edited by dalolorn on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.