Use this space to brainstorm and offer up new ideas.
Ivory

Post by Ivory » Sun May 28, 2017 12:32 am

Last edited by Ivory on Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SailorLune

Re: Jedi - gated progression....being forced to play?

Post by SailorLune » Mon May 29, 2017 4:22 pm

Nice idea.

This could even be roleplayable, depending on when the old man comes. Maybe make it so it happens when you take a shuttle or down a Kimogila or Krayt or any number of things, all possibly mundane. Maybe when you visit a POI. I especially like the randomization of the gates.

This is very close to the original idea, which was discarded in favor of the holocrons...I would like to see this implemented and would be willing to playtest if needed.

SailorLune

Post by SailorLune » Mon May 29, 2017 4:22 pm

Nice idea.

This could even be roleplayable, depending on when the old man comes. Maybe make it so it happens when you take a shuttle or down a Kimogila or Krayt or any number of things, all possibly mundane. Maybe when you visit a POI. I especially like the randomization of the gates.

This is very close to the original idea, which was discarded in favor of the holocrons...I would like to see this implemented and would be willing to playtest if needed.

casirio

Post by casirio » Mon May 29, 2017 4:34 pm

The idea of adding advanced features unlocked by "achievements" basically is something I'd love to see applied to Galaxies for every profession.

Ryian Coron

Post by Ryian Coron » Mon May 29, 2017 6:02 pm

At the end of the day it is still a grind. Only now rather than forcing people to do the same stuff over and over again, they are now being forced to keep doing different stuff in hope of hitting some arbitrary requirement that frankly has as much do to with the jedi as the hologrind.

Now if you really want to make jedi a rare sight, enforce a sacrifice in order to play one. Like having jedi require two character slots. Without turning them into an alpha class. Or bring back permadeath. Or *gasp* make jedi a beta class!

Cael

Post by Cael » Tue May 30, 2017 3:18 am

Or don't have Jedi.

Jedi are the classic MMO Wizard Problem writ extra large in bold with a <blink> tag.

The Wizard Problem

Wizards should be awesome and powerful. Unsatisfying weak wizards are a cop-out. However, if wizards are awesome and powerful, nobody will ever be anything else because not being able to compete is not fun.

Solution 1 - accept the cop-out, make wizards weak. Achieves existence of wizards, game balance, doesn't satisfy anyone. Prepare for ENDLESS balance passes.
Solution 2 - Don't have wizards. Not ideal but better than weak wizards.
Solution 3 - Get creative. My favoured implementation of this is twofold -
a. Wizards cannot grind XP.
b. Wizards trade for power.

Wait, what? How does a) work? Wizards are lvl1 noobs forever?

Nope. Wizards can gain XP but cannot grind. Wizards gain XP from the activity of alts. Not only does this feed the "scheming wizard in tower with agents working his/her will" stereotype - satisfying! - but it means that you'll always have more characters out doing stuff than you have being wizards.

and b - Oh, that's easy. Every use of a wizard power costs the wizard XP. A wizard will grow less and less awesome and powerful the longer they're doing wizard stuff, and this is not a simple Mana bar that refills over time or that you keep topped up with potions. You actually lose the abilities and need to regrind. But you can't grind - only your alts can grind. So to keep wizarding you have to keep other-charactering.

SWG couldn't originally do this because of the 1-character-per-server rule. But it's the best solution.
Last edited by Cael on Tue May 30, 2017 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryian Coron

Post by Ryian Coron » Tue May 30, 2017 5:15 am

I like the wizzard tower approach, but I see one big problem: pvp.

Basically a player could charge up his jedi by doing stuff with alts, only to bring out his jedi for the occalsional pvp pawnage once it is fully charged.

Cael

Post by Cael » Tue May 30, 2017 5:16 am

Yeah, but it won't stay fully charged. And usage means you pay for it with more XP from alts.

Actually, I think it's a pretty good solution. Say you've got some awesome PvP going on and everyone and his cat turns up with Jedi and lays down all the smack. What I personally would do is hide in a hole until they've levelled each other down into the dirt and then stroll in as TK-634 and Order 66 the lot of 'em.

Ryian Coron

Post by Ryian Coron » Tue May 30, 2017 5:24 am

Yes, but once your alts are fully leveled, they have very little use for xp anymore anyway. And keep in mind that ranger e.g. need to kill in order to harvest creature resources, thereby raking up combat and weapon xp as well as scouting xp. I have this sudden image of jedi xp spinning groups...

How about a charge over time mechanic?

Edit: and lol at order 66. I'd join you.

Cael

Post by Cael » Tue May 30, 2017 6:29 am

Over time is weak. You need to make certain the population is active.

I grant you that alts will cap out and no longer need XP but that doesn't mean they can't still earn it - in PvP, on themeparks, on raids, crafting, selling, all the stuff.

Most of SWG's good stuff happens after you cap out. You think people will stop doing it?