XP Nerf / Harder Mobs

Use this space to brainstorm and offer up new ideas.
varelze

XP Nerf / Harder Mobs

Post by varelze » Fri May 05, 2017 3:29 pm

It seems like everyone is leveling very quickly and its very easy to kill mobs. I think it would be more interesting if leveling was slower and mobs were harder, forcing the small community at Broken Bridge to work together to expand and explore the galaxy.

DarkLadyPhoenix1

Re: XP Nerf / Harder Mobs

Post by DarkLadyPhoenix1 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:48 pm

Can't say that I agree. I really hated grinding in vanilla TBH. Woudn't you rather do something fun instead of killing the same mob over and over and over?
What's at the beginning of the game that's more important than at the middle? One of the biggest attractions to this server is the ability to be something great without having to grind out 20 useless boxes first to get to where you want to be, then grind some more after that.
There's nothing worse than being invited to an event but you can't come because you don't have the right gear/skills/anything.

HK-416

Post by HK-416 » Tue May 09, 2017 2:32 am

The reason the mobs appear to be weak is that new characters receive far better starting equipment than when the original game was live. Also the boosted XP was done intentionally so the game didn't become a grind fest, I remember in pre-CU days it took me nearly 4-5 months to grind up an entire template and it was an absolute chore. It's something I definately do not want to have to do again, players will be forced to trade and cooperate with each other anyway as the crafting system has been tweaked to make items superior to looted gear.
Major HK-416 - Imperial Storm Commando Commander
Sergeant TK-455 - Imperial Storm Commando
Kaidin Lissiri - Imperial Intelligence, Outer Rim Station Chief

dalolorn

Post by dalolorn » Tue May 09, 2017 3:49 am

I have to side with HK and Phoenix on this one - XP is much more manageable right now (though the crafting grind is still a pain in the neck - like I said ingame yesterday, weapons start at 2-3k and work their way up to 7k+ per kill, while DEs move from 140 to 170 - I'll be lucky if I unlock a 250+ component in my next skill box, I think I could get around 200 per component if I had the right materials), as it should be to allow people to get through the tedious parts and do something more interesting.

I think the best part of all this is that the starter professions are gone. No more pecking away at worrts and Meatlumps, no more crafting tons of biological effect controllers... you just go in and start doing the things you planned to do. (Or at least something vaguely resembling them.)
European RPer, occasionally dabbling in crafting and stuff.

Currently active characters:
  • Dal Adarom - Sarcos Group Agent
  • Fennla Lan - Tinkerer and Adventurer
  • Nalth Kaaru - Bounty Hunter

varelze

Post by varelze » Tue May 09, 2017 8:14 am

When a few friends and I started characters and were doing nest missions we had to coordinate to pull a single mob and take it down. We had to camp and heal and whatnot. We had only a few skills that we had to master. It felt like hunting. After a couple hours we were taking down whole spawns with ease, no coordination or challenge. We had a ton of skills to use. It just doesn't feel very zero to hero leveling that fast and it removes the group dynamics and challenge.

DarkLadyPhoenix1

Post by DarkLadyPhoenix1 » Tue May 09, 2017 11:01 am

What planet are you on? If you're becoming too strong, try Dant. Try Yavin. Then try Dath. I'm sure there is a place where there is challenge for you. Still not enough? Equip starter weapons. Go without armor. The game can be as hard as you make it. :)

varelze

Post by varelze » Tue May 09, 2017 11:47 am

I guess you could overtly nerf yourself, but isn't the point of an rpg to play the role of someone becoming stronger? Its about the journey. Unless I'm missing something and there's more interesting things to do once you max level?

DarkLadyPhoenix1

Post by DarkLadyPhoenix1 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:51 pm

Let me know if you're having a super easy time on Dath first... that was an extreme example but yes, some players do those kinds of challenges.

Max level opens up a ton of possibilities. Since you're not worried about grinding boxes or scraping money for training, you can actually play the game. Themeparks, faction grinds (you thought it was over?) and whatever your current class is all has stuff to do that's not chasing boxes.

varelze

Post by varelze » Tue May 09, 2017 1:04 pm

But I've done themeparks and faction grinds in the past and they aren't hard to do without a maxed out character. Having a maxed character just makes them a one shot grind. I'm saying that if you level slower you can do all these things with friends and its a challenge rather than just blowing through mobs to get badges/faction points/etc. And while you're accomplishing those things you're slowly becoming more powerful.

Pauleh

Post by Pauleh » Wed May 10, 2017 1:51 am

Different strokes for different folks, I personally take no enjoyment in the grind with the exception of completing it, I like how this server is currently set up as it's rather painless to level.

However I do like a challenge (but grinding isn't the type of challenge I'm after), right now there are many dangerous mobs that can't be killed solo, they will require all the things you mentioned, people will have to work together.