XP Nerf / Harder Mobs

Use this space to brainstorm and offer up new ideas.
dalolorn

Re: XP Nerf / Harder Mobs

Post by dalolorn » Wed May 10, 2017 3:49 am

Pauleh wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 1:51 am
However I do like a challenge (but grinding isn't the type of challenge I'm after), right now there are many dangerous mobs that can't be killed solo, they will require all the things you mentioned, people will have to work together.
A man after my own heart. :P

There is neither challenge nor creativity in gathering 1.5M combat experience, or 500k crafting experience - with some obvious exceptions, there's not even any human interaction. When you strip away all the interesting things about a game, you inevitably have to wonder "why am I doing this?".
European RPer, occasionally dabbling in crafting and stuff.

Currently active characters:
  • Dal Adarom - Sarcos Group Agent
  • Fennla Lan - Tinkerer and Adventurer
  • Nalth Kaaru - Bounty Hunter

varelze

Post by varelze » Wed May 10, 2017 7:02 am

I'm just talking combat but I guess I'm alone in thinking this. I look at it less like grinding combat experience or pistol xp or whatever and more that I'm out doing things like hunting/poi quests/theme parks/exploration/etc and in doing so my character is slowly becoming stronger. If you're a maxed character most of those things become - smash button for hard hitting attack and watch mobs fall down.

Genie

Post by Genie » Wed May 10, 2017 8:00 am

nerf logouts!

Ryian Coron

Post by Ryian Coron » Thu May 11, 2017 8:13 am

I think the xp rewards for combat skills are fine. Yes, you can grind through a template pretty fast, but you will still do a couple of missions per box in most cases. Enough to familiarize yourself with the new abilites each new box grants.

Now crafting is another beast entirely. That's indeed pure button smashing - now with crafting macros (TM). I wish I could get over this grind as fast as getting a combat template set up. And then get to the fun part, like looking for the best resources, experimenting, setting up vendors etc etc etc.

Cael

Post by Cael » Mon May 15, 2017 9:18 am

Honestly, i'd like to see an across-the-board XP increase, especially when not grouped. Solo is a brutal grind for anything right now, and I'm horribly antisocial and also timezone-impaired.

Some of the guild I'm in also played (briefly) in SWG Resurgence (Restoration server). They have applied a 5x multiplier to all XP and 10x when grouped. Reasoning? Grind is boring and all the interesting stuff in SWG happens after you cap out your template.

Even people who enjoy dropping professions and learning a new one tend to like it more when it's quick and fun rather than an exercise in Korean MMO torture.

Actually, Halyn if you're reading this, you should take a quick peek at Resurgence some time. Their implementation of multiple alpha classes to balance out the insanity of Jedi is rather clever.

casirio

Post by casirio » Wed May 24, 2017 1:49 pm

I'm a ranger/rifleman and honestly it's taking me a lot of time and effort to grind both of master. I'm not even half way there and have died plenty of times. I'm doing missions from the terminal in BB, all different kinds, and I'm having to do conceal, actual Ranger tactics to pull red mobs from the group.

I'm still relatively new to SWG but I've grinded on basilisk and this is waaay more enjoyable. The thing is, if you already know the game really well and know exactly how to Max grind a class in a day or whatever then you are going on still do that. People who just want to grind will inevitably say wow I'm bored, when the grind is over.

The changes on this server is the best changes in SWGemu. Without it we'd just be grinding and wearing composite. BB is a great town and I'm really loving the game. I really don't buy that this server is easy at all, either.

Ryian Coron

Post by Ryian Coron » Thu May 25, 2017 6:37 am

Friendly advice from a fellow rifleman / ranger: grind a melee profession before you continue. The melee defense mod makes things noticeably easier.

ZenHatesMe

Post by ZenHatesMe » Thu May 25, 2017 12:38 pm

i found taking nov pike and nov fencer was enough. that plus a little cirtros snow cake and judicious use of glow juice made it manageable. once you get your accuracy tree up, youll notice you can kneel and one-shot a lot of stuff from max range.

You just cant wade into a herd and open up with area shot. thats not going to work.