Entertainer Feels still Lacking

All things entertaining! Or about the Entertainer profession in EiF
Itikar

Entertainer Feels still Lacking

Post by Itikar » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:25 am

Hello to everyone, I am new to SWG and have been playing here a character with entertainer profession in the last few months (on and off, compatibly with RL).

What my experience gave me was that the entertainer profession is really not on par with the other professions. Like at all. I wonder if there are still some revamps in the works, but if there are not the current state of the profession is simply put: not worth taking.

In other words three out of four skill trees give nothing of considerable value, especially compared to other professions that gain exclusive abilities.

The only tree that has some usefulness is the first one, the fame one, which lets entertainers earn more credits from missions. That is very welcome, especially, on a non-combat character and even more on an entertainer that in this way has an incentive to remain in the cantina. It is still to be noted, however, that the money earned through those missions is still not comparable to that one can earn with a combat character, but at least it requires much less action on the part of the entertainer, so this one is pretty good, really.

The problems come with the other three trees. Dancing gives access to some dances that are all inferior to anything obtained even from Dancing Knowledge I on the Dancer skill, hence, they will never be used. Musicianship is a little better in that it gives access to hardly used songs, but at least it has some instrument proficiencies and schematics, of which the mandaviol (obtained at master entertainer) is the only cool one though. And then there is the last tree, Entertainment Healing, which provides some buffs to an entertainer's healing ability (for a total of +35 including novice and master), which are inferior to those provided by the two skills (+60).

Conversely, not having access to basic instruments, songs and dances makes things a little awkward for those who take dancer or musician on characters of other professions, since they learn advanced stuff but cannot perform the most basic ones. O_o

Some tentative proposals:

- Make mind buffs exclusive to the entertainer profession, the same way action and health buffs are exclusive to docs. This seems the main issue to me really.

- Make all dances available through Dancer, all songs and all instrument schematics available through Musician, leaving to Entertainer only the redundant starting ones (which will be available also through the respective skills of course)

I am sorry if it is long or weird, but I felt Entertainer was the black sheep of the profession system of the server from a while now, and I hope one day to see them shine as the others. :)

Edit: removed some rambling about stats, which was ultimately meaningless. Some exclusive stuff would really be preferrable. Maybe crafting of entertainment props, like those shown in some NGE videos. Another idea could be to make special effects only available to the entertainer profession, but I am not entirely convinced of it. Well, anyway, this is tentative for a reason, it identifies a problem and tries to find a solution but the latter is not fixed in stone.