Running Multiple Instances of the game

Guides to playing EiF are here. These can even include links to outside sources which are compatible to EiF. Look for the Master Guide Listing to be stickied at the top.
ruuk

Running Multiple Instances of the game

Post by ruuk » Mon May 08, 2017 2:48 pm

Configuring the game to run multiple instances

Summary

If you try to launch the game and receive an error saying "Another instance of this application is already running", this guide will walk you through fixing it.

This fix will allow you to run multiple copies of the client connected to Empire in Flames and will also allow you to run a client connected to Empire in Flames at the same time you are running one or more clients connected to other SWG Emu servers.

Step by Step

If you aren't a Windows power user, some of this may seem strange, but take your time, read each step carefully, and follow the instructions and you should be fine.

Step 1. Run Notepad as Administrator: Find the shortcut to Notepad in your Program Menu, right-click on it and choose "Run as administrator". By default, on Windows 7 and earlier, Notepad will be located in (Start) > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad

Step 2. Open swgemu.cfg: Click on the File menu and choose File > Open, then browse to the directory where you installed EIF, change the file type from Text Files to "All Files" then open the file called swgemu.cfg

Step 3. Edit swgemu.cfg: Remove the hashmark ("#") at the beginning of the last line, so the file looks like this:

Code: Select all

.include "swgemu_login.cfg"
.include "swgemu_live.cfg"
.include "swgemu_preload.cfg"
.include "options.cfg"
.include "user.cfg"
Step 4. Save swgemu.cfg: Click on the File menu and choose File > Save

Step 5. Create user.cfg: Click on the File menu and File > Save As, then change the file name to "user.cfg" (without the quotes) and click the Save button.

Step 6. Copy and Paste: Copy this code and paste it into your new user.cfg file:

Code: Select all

[SwgClient]

allowMultipleInstances=true
Step 7. Save user.cfg: From the file menu, choose File > Save

Your Done!

That's all there is to it ... now you should be able to run multiple instances of the game.

Did you have any trouble with this? Do you have any questions, comments, suggestions, or additions?
Chance Fizbin - Legitimate Business Man "Always bet on blue"
Dontaye ZmeeBro - Tattoo Afficianado
Ruuk Mha'Rhee - Scylla, Starsider, Liberator, Basilisk, Awakening, Reckoning
<CCC> <JAM> <RA> <RS> <LAG> <ORD>

ruuk

Multiple Instance BONUS TIP

Post by ruuk » Mon May 08, 2017 5:48 pm

BONUS TIP

Change windows with WIN+TAB

If you are running multiple instances of the game on one machine, avoid using ALT+TAB to switch between clients. Using ALT+TAB frequently results in accidentally entering the ALT+ENTER keystroke combination which toggles Windowed Mode, and can cause client crashes.

Instead, try to get used to switching between clients (and other programs) by holding down the Windows key and pressing TAB until you get the window you want. This will avoid the possible crash.

SailorLune

Re: Running Multiple Instances of the game

Post by SailorLune » Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

How do I do this in Windows 10? Could someone help me?

Cael

Post by Cael » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:42 am

exactly the same way. If you have pinned the SWGEmu client to your taskbar or start menu, use SHIFT+CLICK to open a second (or third!) instance.

SailorLune

Post by SailorLune » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:37 am

what I meant is that I couldn't get into the cfg file to make the changes.

ruuk

Post by ruuk » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:29 pm

SailorLune wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:37 am
what I meant is that I couldn't get into the cfg file to make the changes.
I'd like to help, but I don't remember the procedure for editing config files being any different on Windows 10 than Windows 7. I'd check, but I'm afraid I got rid of Win 10 a while back and no longer have a machine to check on. Maybe some Windows 10 user here can verify the method.

dalolorn

Post by dalolorn » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:31 am

There should be no difference between Win7 and Win10 - at least, I didn't notice any when I was tampering with those files.

I'm investigating with Mellie in the Discord now, so hopefully we'll figure out what's wrong soon.

Edit: Okay, problem solved. She was using the same approach I would (open the file from Windows-- pardon me, File Explorer rather than Notepad), and overlooked the "More apps" button when the OS wanted to look for apps in the store.
European RPer, occasionally dabbling in crafting and stuff.

Currently active characters:
  • Dal Adarom - Sarcos Group Agent
  • Fennla Lan - Tinkerer and Adventurer
  • Nalth Kaaru - Bounty Hunter

SailorLune

Post by SailorLune » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:01 am

Figured it out. I misread the first article, tried to get into it through the wrong file.