Doctors needing Medic to function.

Place to discuss doctor and healing things.
jawa9788

Doctors needing Medic to function.

Post by jawa9788 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:35 pm

I don't like the fact you need most medic in order to function as my role as a doctor (Medicine Use + Crafting items needed to make items). I would like to main as a doctor and not to become an alt character you have to log in every-time (it feels very broken). ATM i'm a fencer/pistol with doctor and all I can do is mainly the CM side of doctor, would it be game braking if a Doctor alone can craft and use Buff packs alone?

Please give some feed back and let me know what you guys think.

Some fixes could be make Med use tapes work (or just give doctors more medicine use as master) and make the components craft-able by both the medic and doctor.

MIVE

Cael

Re: Doctors needing Medic to function.

Post by Cael » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:13 am

Agreed. In order to get the medicine use skill up to usable levels, not only do you need Medic, you need to master it. None of the other "main" professions have any such requirement.

Ryian Coron

Post by Ryian Coron » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:52 am

All professions rely on skills for xp or stats. Commandos, Bounty Hunters and Rangers need skills for defense stats. Merchants need goods to put on their vendors. Smugglers rely on looted containers and WUKs (as well as defense stats). And lets not forget that medic is a prerequisite for doctor in vanilla EMU as well.

Bottom line: professions are not as segregated from skills as we might want them to be. Is this a big deal, or just an obstacle for min/maxing? I like pointing out these little flaws as much as anyone. Maybe even more :p But lets not forget that we aren't talking about a full dev team doing this for a living anymore the way SoE was running things back when we had to pay 15$ a month.

dalolorn

Post by dalolorn » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:16 am

Ryian Coron wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:52 am
Commandos, Bounty Hunters and Rangers need skills for defense stats.
Offensive stats, too - unless you want to be limited to profession specials and have low accuracy. :P

That being said, you're absolutely right - all professions are encouraged to go along certain routes, it's just that Doctor and Entertainer have those routes enforced a lot more heavily than the others. This is not necessarily a bad thing, and you can still have a lot of variety with the remaining skill points.
European RPer, occasionally dabbling in crafting and stuff.

Currently active characters:
  • Dal Adarom - Sarcos Group Agent
  • Fennla Lan - Tinkerer and Adventurer
  • Nalth Kaaru - Bounty Hunter

Cael

Post by Cael » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:31 am

dalolorn wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:16 am
Ryian Coron wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:52 am
Commandos, Bounty Hunters and Rangers need skills for defense stats.
Offensive stats, too - unless you want to be limited to profession specials and have low accuracy. :P

That being said, you're absolutely right - all professions are encouraged to go along certain routes, it's just that Doctor and Entertainer have those routes enforced a lot more heavily than the others. This is not necessarily a bad thing, and you can still have a lot of variety with the remaining skill points.
I don't know anything about Entertainers on EiF so I won't go there but I'm currently doing pretty well with a ranger/fencer/carbineer. Not exactly a classic combo but it works for me, and I appreciate the new flexibility a great deal. I could make a Smuggler with Rifles if I wanted and the specials would work! Fantastic!

But yeah, you need backup skills. However - with the combat professions, you get to choose those skills. Mastering Pistols make make you a better BH or mastering TKM might give you a better Commando (for defenses) but it's your call. It's not so much about min-maxing, more about endless variety. That variety was the reason nobody liked the NGE, right?

A Doctor is severely limited in variety, is the problem (as mentioned, probably entertainers too, I don't know). You're going to need at minimum 444x in Doctor just to be able to use StimEs, nevermind the tougher buffs.

I'd love it if the whole system could get a quick look over. I mean, maybe - horrors! - scrap the Medic skill altogether, put it all in Doctor and let anyone use StimBs or StimCs? That's just off the top of my head, but I think there's a case for review and revamp on Doctor.

Jedi_Mario

Post by Jedi_Mario » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:52 pm

This is an interesting idea. I think it could be interesting to not have to be a master medic to reach doctor; but, I disagree with scrapping medic altogether. There are some builds that add medic so that they can heal themselves. Also, How would this affect combat medic?

I can see reducing the need for all of medic to go the doctor route or combat medic.

2 cents!

Jedi_Mario

jmac991

Post by jmac991 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:45 pm

My suggestion would be to make a medic line similar to the Surveying line. A stand-off skill line that people can select in combination with combat toons, but also does not severely hamper the choice for the Doctor character.

Any schematics and crafting skill modifiers would be moved to Doctor.

My 2 cents.
Jmac

Cone Heveile: Iktotchi Ranger
Drija Ceevu: Kel-Dor Armorsmith