Smuggler profession grinding tips

Place to discuss all thing Smuggling like.
HaleBacktos

Smuggler profession grinding tips

Post by HaleBacktos » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:47 pm

Hello all. It's wonderful to be back in SWG again. I have been looking forward to regaining my smuggler of old back and wonder if any of you out there have any tips on progressing in this sneaky and sexy profession.

Thanks in advance!
dalolorn wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:31 am

Your best source of XP until weapons come up are locked containers (or locked magseal containers, but in my experience they're a pretty unreliable resource and will undoubtedly need you to visit several POIs per session to guarantee a locked one). Due to their rarity, they're also fairly expensive and should be supplemented (or replaced, if you don't feel like paying for more containers than you absolutely need) by mission terminals as soon as you hit Slicing I. Slicing terminals is a good idea anyway, because you get more money from your missions if you slice the terminal first.

Obtaining a good supply of molecular clamps is of the utmost importance - without them, you can't guarantee a successful slice, which can be pretty costly when you're handling containers.

Right now, the only EiF-specific things about smugglers are these:
  • Instead of pistol experience, uses combat experience to level up
  • Can't make spices, spice branch uses combat experience to level up and is largely(?) useless
  • Requires a lot less XP to level up compared to Basilisk, as is standard for EiF skills and professions
  • Can use basically any weapon and requires 0 skill points, as is standard for EiF professions
  • Can't craft upgrade kits on their own, needs novice weapon/armorsmith (then again, this may also be the case in pre-CU - I never paid too much attention to that because I barely made it to Slicing I... if I even made it that far...)
With that in mind, any EiF-specific guide would mostly be an amendment to, rather than a replacement for a pre-CU guide - for now, at least. We have yet to see what the future has in store for us.

Brindan Call wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:34 am
So far, I've been leveling my Smuggler by taking Rebel Missions from my home City. This gives Pistol (or whatever weapon you choose) exp, as well as Combat exp to level your Weapon Prof and Smuggler at the same time. Seeing as only Rangers can harvest creatures, I stick to Humanoid NPC Missions, or mostly Rebel Missions for the Faction, as well as money and loot drops. Creatures drop neither, so for non-Rangers, it seems more favorable to me to hunt humanoids.

In doing this, I found 4 Locked Containers before I reached my 1st Tier 4 Box, and that was enough (using Mol Clamps) to fill the first Slicing Box (260 exp each if memory serves) So then it was on to slicing terminals for exp, and running more missions for more money. As I'm doing this, I'm setting aside any weapon or armor i find to use as fodder for the 3rd and 4th tier Slicing boxes.

Spices are gone, sadly, but the first Spice skill box gives the 100% Language Comprehension that Underworld used too, so that box is worth it, IMO. This will also be the last line I level as the bonuses are moot, so getting Low Blow, Last Ditch, and then Burst Run / Terrain Negotiation first will only make things faster and easier when it comes time to do the Spices line and then Mastery.

Just get yourself a crate of Clamps, Knives, Weapon and Armor Upgrade Kits, all of which were pretty cheap in Broken Bridge, and it's pretty smooth sailing for the Scoundrels. \m/
Last edited by HaleBacktos on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sandarie

Re: Smuggler profession grinding tips

Post by Sandarie » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:14 pm

Slicing starts with either finding magseal containers in various locations, or finding locked containers. It then moves on to ... and I can never remember the order! Gah. Other items. Weapons at some point, terms too. We need to find a real expert to help! only takes about 5 locked containers for the first box though :)
Sandarie
EiF Community Manager

HaleBacktos

Post by HaleBacktos » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:46 am

Sandarie wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:14 pm
Slicing starts with either finding magseal containers in various locations, or finding locked containers. It then moves on to ... and I can never remember the order! Gah. Other items. Weapons at some point, terms too. We need to find a real expert to help! only takes about 5 locked containers for the first box though :)
Thanks!
That is kinda my point of this thread. I will try hard to edit the original post and construct some sort of EiF specific guide using community feedback... I hope. Heh :D

dalolorn

Post by dalolorn » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:31 am

HaleBacktos wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:47 pm
I'm wondering how you would gain slicing experience. Other EMU and preCU guides say that gaining pistol experience will work, but I've been working up TK and medic so have a lacking slicing category.
I can't imagine why they'd say that - leveling slicing by slicing isn't a concept that's new to EiF. (However, if memory serves, pistol experience was used for Smuggler's combat-related lines, so you might have misread that.)

Anyway, your best source of XP until weapons come up are locked containers (or locked magseal containers, but in my experience they're a pretty unreliable resource and will undoubtedly need you to visit several POIs per session to guarantee a locked one). Due to their rarity, they're also fairly expensive and should be supplemented (or replaced, if you don't feel like paying for more containers than you absolutely need) by mission terminals as soon as you hit Slicing I. Slicing terminals is a good idea anyway, because you get more money from your missions if you slice the terminal first.

Obtaining a good supply of molecular clamps is of the utmost importance - without them, you can't guarantee a successful slice, which can be pretty costly when you're handling containers.
HaleBacktos wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:46 am
Sandarie wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:14 pm
Thanks!
That is kinda my point of this thread. I will try hard to edit the original post and construct some sort of EiF specific guide using community feedback... I hope. Heh :D
Right now, the only EiF-specific things about smugglers are these:
  • Instead of pistol experience, uses combat experience to level up
  • Can't make spices, spice branch uses combat experience to level up and is largely(?) useless
  • Requires a lot less XP to level up compared to Basilisk, as is standard for EiF skills and professions
  • Can use basically any weapon and requires 0 skill points, as is standard for EiF professions
  • Can't craft upgrade kits on their own, needs novice weapon/armorsmith (then again, this may also be the case in pre-CU - I never paid too much attention to that because I barely made it to Slicing I... if I even made it that far...)
With that in mind, any EiF-specific guide would mostly be an amendment to, rather than a replacement for a pre-CU guide - for now, at least. We have yet to see what the future has in store for us.
European RPer, occasionally dabbling in crafting and stuff.

Currently active characters:
  • Dal Adarom - Sarcos Group Agent
  • Fennla Lan - Tinkerer and Adventurer
  • Nalth Kaaru - Bounty Hunter

Brindan Call

Post by Brindan Call » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:34 am

So far, I've been leveling my Smuggler by taking Rebel Missions from my home City. This gives Pistol (or whatever weapon you choose) exp, as well as Combat exp to level your Weapon Prof and Smuggler at the same time. Seeing as only Rangers can harvest creatures, I stick to Humanoid NPC Missions, or mostly Rebel Missions for the Faction, as well as money and loot drops. Creatures drop neither, so for non-Rangers, it seems more favorable to me to hunt humanoids.

In doing this, I found 4 Locked Containers before I reached my 1st Tier 4 Box, and that was enough (using Mol Clamps) to fill the first Slicing Box (260 exp each if memory serves) So then it was on to slicing terminals for exp, and running more missions for more money. As I'm doing this, I'm setting aside any weapon or armor i find to use as fodder for the 3rd and 4th tier Slicing boxes.

Spices are gone, sadly, but the first Spice skill box gives the 100% Language Comprehension that Underworld used too, so that box is worth it, IMO. This will also be the last line I level as the bonuses are moot, so getting Low Blow, Last Ditch, and then Burst Run / Terrain Negotiation first will only make things faster and easier when it comes time to do the Spices line and then Mastery.

Just get yourself a crate of Clamps, Knives, Weapon and Armor Upgrade Kits, all of which were pretty cheap in Broken Bridge, and it's pretty smooth sailing for the Scoundrels. \m/

HaleBacktos

Post by HaleBacktos » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:05 pm

Edited original post with relevant information from Brendan and darlo

adrikthorsen

Post by adrikthorsen » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:29 am

My fastest route to slicing xp ended up being POIs, rather than humanoids on missions. On Corellia I would start at the Afrethu seperatist cave, hit the Drall seperatists base, do a round of 6 missions, then head back to Afrethu which would have its' Magsealed containers re-spawned by then. With a speeder handy, and even with slicing xp off terminals, I found this was much faster than slicing a terminal every 2 minutes or waiting on chance to favor me with locked containers for slicing.
Tylen Gundo <MASC>
Human Master Smuggler