Defensive Stats Redistribution and Balancing Plans

A place to discuss the various professions in EiF.
Anishor

Re: Defensive Stats Redistribution and Balancing Plans

Post by Anishor » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:04 am

In what way would you describe rifleman as not desirable?

Bean

Post by Bean » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:50 pm

As of my last attempt to grind it, it takes 3 kills to match the XP of one for any other profession, so it's a pain in the ass to grind. This is one of my major problems with it right now. You're also fighting enemies that move into melee range almost immediately, which drops rifle accuracy down to the -100 range, so hitting the target (at least at novice to first box) is incredibly frustrating. Grinding the first few boxes of rifleman takes longer than the entire grind for most weapon-specific professions.

And when you do get it ground out, it's limited in usefulness. All ranged combat starts at 65m anyways, and pistols and carbines have decent accuracy at that range. Rifleman is dependent on combat staying at around max range, which simply does not happen. With the changes to damage pools, the role of rifles (as the primary method of draining mind) has been basically removed, as well as there not being a real reason to target the mind pool anyways Carbines and pistols easily match rifles for health pool damage and have far more utility, with none of the problems.

I haven't had much opportunity to do group combat, but I don't recall seeing anyone staying as rifleman longer than it takes to get the badge and realize that it's not that interesting. Maybe as the population grows, someone will find a place for it as it is, but right now it feels like a forgotten or ignored skill profession.
Kanten Kania (Wiley Old Man)
Darrando Rivet (Has Rancor, Will Travel)
Koga Veki (Showtime)

Ryian Coron

Post by Ryian Coron » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:22 pm

Concerning Rifleman: when I do a tier 3 BH mission (difficulty 270+) I basically get 2 shots in before my mark forces melee combat upon me. So I switch to a newbie CDEF survival knife instead using my sliced and PuP'd Rifle.

Now Rifleman may or may not have a role in pvp, but in pve it is sub par.

Tldr: what Bean said

Goleeb

Post by Goleeb » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:24 pm

So This is a diagram of how I think resist could be distributed. The top line is +75, second is +50, and the bottom is +25. So if you double up on melee or ranged you get two 125 resist, and one 100 resist. If you go melee and ranged you get more evenly distributed stats, but less capped or close to capped resists. Meaning going melee, and ranged would be more versatile in damage range, but more susceptible to cc, and going all melee, or all ranged would be more tanky, but less versatile. Ranged would be unable to switch to melee damage, and melee would be useless at range. Though much harder to hit with C.C.

The one problem is there are four melee class. I would consider TKA the odd man out, and wonder what should be done to TKA to make them balanced. Possibly make it a copy of Rifleman. That way it would pair well with any ranged class other than Rifleman.

Each number would be a specific resist excluding posture change up. Where we plug in what resists, and for what class would still be a question.

Ranged classes:
2 3
4 5 6

Melee :

TKA

Copy the stats of rifleman ?

I would also propose the idea of having +25 to all secondary defenses in each master box. That way taking any two classes to master would allow you to hit caped secondary defense.

What do you all think ?

Anishor

Post by Anishor » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:01 am

We could make posture up viable for rifles if we allowed them to shoot while still prone, and change it so that posture down affect someone that is prone. Being prone would still have the +hit for melee attackers versus. But it could help some of the riflemen in pve issues.

TheIronTower

Post by TheIronTower » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:52 am

Just wondering why not stick counter attack with flamethrower or something like that. it kind of pidgeonholes commandos to pick pistols or rifle if not. Fire dots only seem to apply with specials anyhow. I like the idea of making the consumable weapons high damage maby just make them really slow anyhow just my 2cp lots of neat ideas so far im excited to see how things turn out.

Anishor

Post by Anishor » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:47 am

TheIronTower wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:52 am
Just wondering why not stick counter attack with flamethrower or something like that. it kind of pidgeonholes commandos to pick pistols or rifle if not. Fire dots only seem to apply with specials anyhow. I like the idea of making the consumable weapons high damage maby just make them really slow anyhow just my 2cp lots of neat ideas so far im excited to see how things turn out.
Given the strength of the default attack for heavy weapons ( or will be ) I would be hesitant to give them counter attack. They'll have grenades as a way to do damage as well.

Seedyjee

Post by Seedyjee » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:09 pm

they have counterattack while using consumables if spec'd that way anyways..I'd rather see commando's have no secondary defenses while using their rifles just HUGE damage/delays.

Ryian Coron

Post by Ryian Coron » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:02 am

Anishor wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:01 am
We could make posture up viable for rifles if we allowed them to shoot while still prone, and change it so that posture down affect someone that is prone. Being prone would still have the +hit for melee attackers versus. But it could help some of the riflemen in pve issues.
Correct me if I am mistaken, but to me this sounds as if a rifleman would have improved to hit chances at point blank range while in turn still being easy to hit, correct? Which brings up the question what rifleman can offer that pistoleer or carbineer don't do better. Improved accuracy at long ranges sadly is not a benefit when every NPC moves into melee range asap. What would help is an increase in range or damage. The former might be impossible to implement, but an across the board damage increase should be not. Whether this increase should be limited to pve (if possible) is another question.

Tldr : removing some cons is nice, but as long as there aren't any pros to offset the remaining cons, it will still be a sub-par profession by default.

Anishor

Post by Anishor » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:24 pm

The challenge is the Rifleman is dealing with an incomplete ability set. As Conceal Shot and Surprise shot don't work as they did in Live. Which is the primary reason they're gimped in PVE until it gets fixed given the most MOBs wanting to melee. AS for what Rifleman is suppose to do, is being the best at long range with high damage and slow refire. The sniper. I am going to take this by making surprise shot a high damage attack that should help. It'll have a high delay but it should hit very hard. I am also looking into potential roots for rifleman.