Limited to 3 characters on one account

Community Written Guides and Other Helpful Things
Aster0idz

Re: Limited to 3 characters on one account

Post by Aster0idz » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:31 am

The more i think about this, the more i think this is the solution to making limited chars work. Its fine in theory to say we want players to interact, but if someone is just exploring solo like i did, trying to have fun, getting wounds and getting burned, having to go back to Cnet, you risk losing anyone but the most hardcore players after a couple of times of this. Its just super tedious, not fun. The reality is theres already a city on Lok, Alexandria, the work has already been put in to build that player city, and it was empty tonite. It would be strategic to try to capitalize on the massively pop influx to try and retain it before it goes away.

As a way to soften these blows, NPC entertainers would potentially solve this. Less hardcore players are allowed to explore content without having to go back to Cnet. Theyre enjoying themselves, server grows in pop, and you get an upward spiral instead of a downward one. More people means the fraction of players willing to roll an entertainer char goes up as well. With a 3 char limit, im betting ratio is something like 1-10, people willing to blow a char on an entertainer. So i would populate likely at least one cantina per planet, with NPC entertainers that heal slightly less than players, as a placeholder till the fraction of players willing to roll entertainers settle in. This would emulate live, where combat chars could move around and find entertainers pretty much anywhere.

If this is too complicated, and not done, and people like me who want to experience the combat class they never got a chance to try on live arent allowed to roll entertainers on the side to compensate for the lack of them outside Cnet, im pretty sure the pop will spiral down. I might be wrong, of course, but thats how i see it.

Smallcorners

Post by Smallcorners » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:07 am

As the population grows, there might be more people willing to AFK their toons when they are not on to provide that sort of service in player cities. Talon and Samave do it in Broken Bridge, on Corellia, as that has long been considered our starter city. The same goes for Entertainers as it does for any other profession need, ask in Galaxy Chat if there is anyone that is an Entertainer, Dancer, or Musician, willing to meet you somewhere.

I do consider your complaint valid, and probably could start leaving Eti up in Agathon, Dantooine now that we are more spread out. Do remember we, the veterans of the server, are also getting used to the new map size and the needs to adjust more than just travel costs and time.

I do not care for your solution as I feel it will create isolation more than cooperation, nor the implication that a service you so desire is good only to "blow a char on".

Aster0idz

Post by Aster0idz » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:54 am

Smallcorners wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:07 am
As the population grows, there might be more people willing to AFK their toons when they are not on to provide that sort of service in player cities. Talon and Samave do it in Broken Bridge, on Corellia, as that has long been considered our starter city. The same goes for Entertainers as it does for any other profession need, ask in Galaxy Chat if there is anyone that is an Entertainer, Dancer, or Musician, willing to meet you somewhere.

I do consider your complaint valid, and probably could start leaving Eti up in Agathon, Dantooine now that we are more spread out. Do remember we, the veterans of the server, are also getting used to the new map size and the needs to adjust more than just travel costs and time.

I do not care for your solution as I feel it will create isolation more than cooperation, nor the implication that a service you so desire is good only to "blow a char on".
The one needing the service is the one who is moving. If i need my wounds healed on lok and people are in BB, i would feel bad asking to meet on Lok. I really cant imagine the people who are perma-entertaining in BB (Talon, Samave, etc) moving around to heal people's wounds and leaving one of the only place (as far as i know) you know there will be entertainers without any. Lok is already settled, the player city's built, and the cantina in alexandria was empty every time i went there. I dont see how we'll see entertainers on the new planets any time soon.

I cant see many players putting up with the hassle of going back to BB every time they die a few times for the sake of theoretical cooperation. Again i see 2 solutions to this. Let people roll more characters, or NPC entertainers (again, who heal less than players so that when players do start to settle in, players prefer them over NPCs). I dont see whats the big deal with letting people have more characters. I would personally sacrifice boxing toons to have 2 entertainers somewhere while i play one character, but not at the expense of not being able to trying out the classes i wanted to try, like creature handler and commando, etc... Like for example yesterday's late session, i was tired so couldnt be bothered boxing. Well, if i had 2 entertainers, i could have let them logged on in Lok while i was doing missions with friend. So people wouldnt have to do what i did, die on Lok, dont find entertainers and go back to BB, get discouraged about exploring and just grind missions on Corellia...

Theres a big focus on the server about PVP, and part of what attracted me to the server. So basically id want to have at least 2 chars optimally tuned to it. Add one PVE char (slightly gimped if i want to try any kind of crafting profession, surveying, etc) and that leaves space for little else.

Im talking about this to the player i brought in from other games and he agrees about more chars, for him it would be RP characters.

And this should probably moved to suggestions, sorry

Smallcorners

Post by Smallcorners » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:40 pm

~There are more Ent types on the server than just the crew in BB. Ask.

~Entertainers, Musicians, Dancers can all heal battle fatigue and blue wounds (for dancer/musician they need to have that line). I know people that put some points into Dance or Musician, but not master it, just to deal with their own wounds until they stop dying so often.

~Effectiveness does not start to fall until you reach 1000 BF, that is a lot of dying, and Lok is not a starter planet.

~We RP and do other things too, what helps is that we can have all three toons out at the same time.

~The GCW PVP focus is event related once every 6 days (on the current thinking), when they happen both sides make sure they have Entertainers about. Other PVP is expected to happen, but unless you are a certain rank with your faction, it is not forced.

~We are about cooperation, and we are about creating the characters that are needed, while I will, and have made 'house calls' here as well as on live, I am not finding that people are begging for my services. I do expect that to change a bit as the new maps are out (for all of a few days at this point) and people re-adjust, and needs are filled.

~Do we need NPC Entertainers? I am understandably opposed to it as that might just make me irrelevant considering the only time I am truly in demand is during invasions or when out with a group.

~Will there ever me another character slot? That is up to the Development team and if they see a need for one in the future.

Aster0idz

Post by Aster0idz » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:40 pm

Youre always relevant, because if youre there with the NPCs, you heal better, so players always pick you. But if you arent there, theyre not stuck with having to shuttle around to find entertainers.

When i left lok yesterday, i was halfway down my blue bar just fucking around the droid cave for an hour or 2.

If thats the choice thats made, to leave things as they are, i will just stick it out i guess with my 2 pvp chars and one PVE char. If it happens alot that im forced to shuttle around just to heal BF and wounds, i might delete/mod one of my pvp chars to make room for an entertainer, leaving me with little space to try creature handler, or droid engineer, or any kind of crafter. How long will i have fun with that setup, im not sure, but i have a feeling it wont be long.

But i will try asking first, see if i can make people pop their ent alt in Lok, etc...

To be clear NPC entertainers is my last choice. First choice would be to make a little more room for players to create characters, 5 or 6.

Aster0idz

Post by Aster0idz » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:56 pm

Aideon wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:03 pm
Sounds like we aren't the server for you, then. Hopefully you find someone great to land.
Guess not. I just gave up today thinking about all this. Im not gonna wreck my brain trying to optimize which 3 chars i want to roll. Especially not knowing someone can just lie about roommates and get to play more characters. Will check once in a while to see if this has changed.

Destroy

Post by Destroy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:21 pm

surviving with three characters is doable solo even some pve people take up novice dance and dance away their bf while taking novice medic to tend their wounds using a doc droid out in the field. having the requirement that housing be placed in cities brings people closer making cities homes for many. Characters then dont mind going home to heal, drop off gear, or shop. Being nomadic id suggest novice dance novice medic.

dalolorn

Post by dalolorn » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:18 am

My 2 cents:

- Given the amount of unique stuff throughout the server, I can understand the "must see it all" mentality, especially in the case of CH. That being said, it is unfortunately true that excessive self-sufficiency becomes increasingly probable with more character slots. (I am somewhat opposed to the use of that argument in crafting, specifically, but it's definitely applicable to Entertainers, Merchants, Rangers and Surveyors.)

- In spite of my agreement with Eti and Destroy on the above point, I definitely sympathize with your friend's desire for more than 3 RP characters. A compromise between "must limit gameplay impact to X characters" and "must have way more than X characters to RP with" is something that I've previously attempted to find, but so far I've been unable to come up with anything that Halyn was able to implement easily enough as to fit it into his development schedule. (Not to say that I haven't had theoretical solutions, mind you...)
European RPer, occasionally dabbling in crafting and stuff.

Currently active characters:
  • Dal Adarom - Sarcos Group Agent
  • Fennla Lan - Tinkerer and Adventurer
  • Nalth Kaaru - Bounty Hunter

Aster0idz

Post by Aster0idz » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:28 pm

dalolorn wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:18 am
My 2 cents:

- Given the amount of unique stuff throughout the server, I can understand the "must see it all" mentality, especially in the case of CH. That being said, it is unfortunately true that excessive self-sufficiency becomes increasingly probable with more character slots. (I am somewhat opposed to the use of that argument in crafting, specifically, but it's definitely applicable to Entertainers, Merchants, Rangers and Surveyors.)

- In spite of my agreement with Eti and Destroy on the above point, I definitely sympathize with your friend's desire for more than 3 RP characters. A compromise between "must limit gameplay impact to X characters" and "must have way more than X characters to RP with" is something that I've previously attempted to find, but so far I've been unable to come up with anything that Halyn was able to implement easily enough as to fit it into his development schedule. (Not to say that I haven't had theoretical solutions, mind you...)
To me, 5 or 6 characters would be the sweet spot. One crafter/dancer one musician/whatever. So that if i wanna go explore in the middle of nowhere part of the server, im not forced to go back. Would probably often leave those in places other than BB, so players can move around more and single box my PVE char. I could squeeze in my CH/crafter with one of the two aboves and still have room to experiment so i can figure out what works best in pvp and pve. I had a total demotivation moment to play my commando when i learned about this. What if commando isnt that good in pve or pvp? What if i want to keep him because i like playing him anyway? Well i need to delete the trees ive put alot of hours in to start over. Its very much constricting.

Ive stopped playing but like i said will come and check if the rules limiting players to 3 chars have changed because i would enjoy exploring all the stuff thats on the server.

Cavadus

Post by Cavadus » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:47 pm

I've played on a few servers that had allowed lots of characters per account with 4-5 simultaneously logged in.

It was dumb. Everyone just AFK macros everything. I have no interest in that and prefer the way things are currently.