Weapon Appearances

Community Written Guides and Other Helpful Things
Deklen Caliban

Weapon Appearances

Post by Deklen Caliban » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:13 am

Is there a way to get the "combined" appearances of certain weapons that utilize scopes and stocks without having a weapon that look really weird?

I've posted a few pics of weapons that ISTC will be using and the appearance that is available in the game files but aren't currently being used when crafted. I've also posted the resulted version that is crafted in-game when adding a scope and/stock. I understand that the scopes and stocks are optional and that they DO change the appearance of the crafted weapon, but the results are a little wonky in my opinion.

DLT-20a Rifle
EiF crafted version (stock is correct, but scope isn't)
SWG combined version (scope and stock are correct)

E-11 Carbine/Rifle
EiF crafted version (stock is correct, but scope isn't)
SWG combined version (scope and stock are correct)

As far as the others we use, the T-21 and the SE-14c, the appearances are spot on (noting that the T-21 doesn't use a scope in its standard-issue appearance).

As far as the correct appearance files, these can be found with SIE as follows:

DLT-20a combined version = GCW Pulse Cannon
Directory: Appearance>wp_heavy_weapon_gcw.apt

E-11 combined version
Directory: Appearance>wp_carbine_e11_combined.apt

Halyn
Site Admin

Re: Weapon Appearances

Post by Halyn » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:41 am

E-11 is correct as-is and won't be changed. Check this file: appearance/wp_carbine_e11_scope.apt

There appear to be several variants on the optical from actually doing some searching on the web for it with that in mind.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/sta ... fle_FF.png
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/sta ... 11_btm.jpg

DLT-20/DLT-20a/CDEF don't currently use scope mounts. The piece in question is part of the model and can't be removed. On test, I've added the optic to the DLT-20a (it currently was available on the DLT-20 but not the DLT-20a or CDEF...eh, SWGEmu) and will push that live at some point after I've tested.

Halyn
Site Admin

Post by Halyn » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:30 pm

DLT-20a will have a scope in the next patch, along with the Berserker rifle.

Deklen Caliban

Post by Deklen Caliban » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:23 pm

Halyn wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:30 pm
DLT-20a will have a scope in the next patch, along with the Berserker rifle.
/thumbsup

Deklen Caliban

Post by Deklen Caliban » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:19 am

I came across a few other appearance issues I wanted to bring up with you.

Please understand that I know you and the devs are busy, so please don't take this as a request to fix this immediately. I just came across this this evening and I wanted to point it out.

I assumed that I would need to do some modding to get them exactly how they appeared as their "complete" versions in NGE. However, I came across an issue where one of the required components needed for crafting the weapons is creating an additional appearance problem (at least in my opinion). I am going to post a few pics as the "PROBLEM" and then post my opinions on resolving these issues as I view them.

I crafted the following weapons tonight to test out what the appearances would come out like.

DLT-20a Rifle
DX-2 Pistol
DXR-6 Heavy Carbine
E-11 Carbine/Rifle
Elite Carbine
SR Combat Pistol
T-21 Rifle

Out of the 7 that I tested with additions such as scopes and stocks, only 3 turned out spot on or as intended.
DLT-20a Rifle w/ Scope & Stock (Scope = 100%; Stock = 100%; Base model = As close as it will be for now)
E-11 Carbine/Rifle w/ Scope & Stock (Scope = Agree to disagree over correct type, but I can mod it to be correct; Stock = 100%)
SR Combat Pistol w/ Scope (Scope = 100%)

The other 4 weapons had multiple issues ranging from incorrect scope or stock models, to issues with default appearance being affected by the barrel/muzzle. Unfortunately the barrel is a required component, so I'm not sure why the appearance should even change when this component is added. Below are some screenshots of the finished product(s), as well as some game files from SIE that reference the correct component and what the combined version should look like.

DX-2 Pistol
My only complaint would be to remove the barrel/muzzle appearance so that it looks like the 2nd pic below:

Crafted Version (w/ Muzzle Appearance Issue)

Correct Appearance

DXR-6 Heavy Carbine
Several things going on here. The stock shows up as that of a T-21 rather than the DXR-6 Stock appearance file. The scope should be a different appearance. The last issue is the space between the end of the weapon and the barrel/muzzle. Below are some pics as reference:

Crafted Version w/ Scope & Stock (w/ Muzzle Appearance Issue)

Correct Combined Appearance
The DXR-6 Carbine combined appearance should be identical to the Tenloss DXR-6 Disruptor Rifle. The combined appearance file in the game files calls it as such as well. I don't know what the issue is with the muzzle and why there is a space/separation on the appearance. It could be that on the Tenloss Rifle version, the muzzle wasn't a separate component and like the scope and stock it was part of the entire weapon model.

DXR-6 Stock

DXR-6 Scope
This component is not referred to like other weapons are, but this is definitely the model used.

Elite Carbine
This has got to be the biggest "ugly" in my crafting run tonight. I actually chuckled over this one. Scope is off, stock is off, and the mysterious muzzle monster is back again. So I tried a variation and decided to use different types of components to see if the appearance would change. It did, but not in a better way. Below are some pics as reference:

Crafted Version w/ Scope & Stock (w/ Muzzle Appearance Issue) #1
That stock is from the Laser Rifle...

Crafted Version w/ Scope (w/ Muzzle Appearance Issue) #2
That scope is from the SR Combat Pistol...

Correct Combined Appearance

Elite Carbine Stock

Elite Carbine

T-21
The T-21 was actually on track to be correct as it does use the correct stock appearance model that it should. But, the barrel/muzzle had to go and ruin it. Below are some pics as reference:

Crafted Version w/ Stock (w/ Muzzle Appearance Issue) #1
Spot on... except for the muzzle.

Crafted Version (w/ Muzzle Appearance Issue) #2
Different barrel used, but it didn't make it better.

Again, I know these are trivial matters, but for matters of appearance, roleplaying and canon, obviously there are some changes needed.

For the time being ISTC will be utilizing a mod for the appearance to correct it. We're hoping this can be fixed in the future after GCW, or maybe find a way to implement the combined appearance and then use powerups to change the appearance beyond that.

If you need my help in any way, I am here. I greatly respect what you and the rest of the devs do and all of your hard work. Please understand that and know that I don't mean any disrespect over this.

Halyn
Site Admin

Post by Halyn » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:08 pm

I'll continue to tinker with these as I have time. A bunch of these are how SWGEmu set them up in code and haven't been adjusted by us.

Deklen Caliban

Post by Deklen Caliban » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:55 pm

I understand and I thought that might have been the case. I completely understand and know how valuable your time is so we will continue to use a mod until any further changes. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help you on my end and I will be more than happy to do so

Shunkaha

Post by Shunkaha » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:40 am

I know I dig up this post, sorry about that. Halyn, I know your time is precious but did you have time to change what Deklen was talking about?
Or is the problem insoluble without SWGEmu changing the way it's coded? And so we have to address the problem to SWGEmu?